A 6 person camping tent is the most common tent size for the whole family or a group of friends. It has enough space for the family to be comfortable but not too spacious to make bonding impossible.
This commonly has a floor area that can range from 100 to 180 square feet. It can have a center height that varies from 4 feet to 7 feet.
The 6 person camping tent is also a safe tent size choice. It is more economical compared to very large camping tents but has excellent durability when it comes to strong wind compared to the much smaller outdoor tents.
Best 6 Person Tent Review
Table of Contents
- 1 Best 6 Person Tent Review
- 2 Things to Consider When Buying the Best 6 Person Tent
- 3 Conclusion
The Coleman is a trusted manufacturer of quality outdoor recreation products for years. Coleman camping tents are well known for the brand’s quality tradition.
Its Coleman WeatherMaster is one of the best-rated family tents with a spacious interior to house as much as 6 people.
Coleman WeatherMaster is a cabin designed tent which has a wide 17 feet by 9 feet floor area that can fit at least 2 queen size air mattresses.
It also has an excellent headroom of about 6 feet and 10 inches center height. This gives even an NBA player enough room to move around.
This outdoor camping tent is designed with 2 doors with the front door hinged. It has large windows that are designed to allow an increase in airflow. It features a vented cool air port and Variflo adjustable ventilation.
The Coleman WeatherMaster is the best 6 person tent, especially for summer camping. It has a screened porch which allows for excellent ventilation while keeping unwanted insects and pests out. This can also serve as the tent’s extension if you need more space.
The WeatherMaster also features the patented Weathertec System by Coleman which makes it a weatherproof camping tent. It also features a mesh ceiling that can be convenient if you are star gazing. The steel and fiberglass combination of the Coleman WeatherMaster tent poles gives it enough strength to stand up against strong winds.
The Coleman WeatherMaster 6 Person camping tent is ideal for family and group camping and other outdoor activities.
- Spacious 6-person tent has enough room for 2 queen-size...
- Separate floorless screen room offers bug-free lounging
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted...
Core Equipment is a popular and favorite maker of outdoor products for years. Its outdoor camping tent features the unique Core H2O Block Technology.
This uses various combinations of water resistant fabrics in making the tent which also includes its own active bead technology. This system enables the snow and water runoff against the tent roof even faster.
The Core’s 6 person dome tents, aside from its quality tent fabrics, also features sealed seams. This makes the camping tent water and rain resistant. The door and window seals are also convenient when it happens to rain while you are camping.
The Core 6 Person Dome tent has a fully taped removable rainfly that serves as rain protection. The camping tent exposes its mesh window and ceiling when the rainfly is removed. This allows for excellent ventilation especially when the weather is warm.
The removable rainfly of the Core 6 Person Dome camping tent makes it flexible for camping under various outdoor conditions.
This outdoor camping tent also utilizes an advanced venting system. It has an air intake vent that is designed to be adjustable. This allows cool air intake from the ground while the warm air escapes at the mesh ceiling.
Core 6 Person Dome camping tent also features zippered privacy panels on both doors and windows with organizer pockets and gear loft for your things.
If you want a basic family outdoor camping tent, this 11 feet by 9 feet Core 6 Person Dome tent might be your choice.
- Sleeps 6 people; Fits two queen air mattresses; Center...
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent
- Features gear loft with lantern hook and pockets to keep...
Timber Ridge is an outdoor brand which is well known for their dedication to providing camping tents for a better outdoor experience.
The Timber Ridge Family Dome tent is designed to maximize the shoulder space with its fiberglass reinforced tent poles that also features pole pockets gives the camping tent the stability for the tent structure.
This Timber Ridge Family Dome camping tent is designed with a D-style door to allow for an easy entrance and exit. The 11 feet by 9 feet floor dimension of the camping tent can accommodate 6 persons and can fit about 2 queen size air mattresses. It’s 6 feet center height can also provide enough headroom for you to stand straight and move around the tent.
The tent wall is made of polyester fabric that is rugged and durable to withstand various weather conditions.
The rainfly with PU coating can provide protection against rain and the wind and can serve as a shade during sunny weather. This rainfly can also be removed to expose the camping tent’s mesh walls and ceiling which is an excellent feature for ventilation.
With the zipped fabric wall, you can give the camping tent privacy and divide the tent into two rooms.
The Timber Ridge Family Dome tent is ideal and best tent for 6 people when it comes to camping under any type of weather and excellent stability to make your camping experience worthwhile. It has enough room for a whole family with an additional gear space. This is also easy and quick to set up.
- DIMENSIONS: 11 x9 feet and 72 inches center height. Top dome...
- Ventilation and Protection: Large D style door and side...
- DURABLE MATERIAL: Welded floors and inverted seams for water...
Wenzel Evergreen is one of the top rated 6 person tents you can find in the market. It boasts various enhancing features for both convenience and comfort when it comes to outdoor camping.
With its 94.5 square feet floor area, the Wenzel Evergreen camping tent has enough space to accommodate a medium sized family with an additional space for gear storage. It has a peak height of about 72 inches or 6 feet which allow enough headspace for you to stand straight and move inside the tent.
The Wenzel Evergreen 6 Person camping tent is equipped with dual D-style doors which give it better access. The three mesh windows keep the tent room ventilated.
The Wenzel Evergreen 6 Person camping tent has a removable seam-sealed rainfly that comes conveniently when there is rain or snow. It also includes features such as an E-port for electrical cords and a divider curtain to create two sleeping areas inside the tent.
Aside from the additional features, the Wenzel Evergreen 6 Person camping tent is top rated in 6 person tent reviews for its quality tent materials. It features a Weather Armor polyester tent fabric which is also polyurethane coated. This gives the tent the ability to be waterproof and strength to withstand any weather conditions.
The fiberglass tent poles also feature shock-corded laces which create a sturdy structure to stand against strong winds. From everything it is made of, the Wenzel Evergreen 6 Person tent is ideal for any type of outdoor activity.
- Six-person dome tent can be separated into two rooms
- Weather Armor polyester fabric with polyurethane coating
- Three closable mesh windows & Mesh roof
The Kelty Trail Ridge 6 is the best 6 man tent with dome style you can find in the market. This is made using rigid yet smooth polyester tent fabric which makes it weatherproof. Both the tent floor and rainfly seams are taped to make it even more watertight.
The tent structure is made with 4 tent poles which vary in diameter to expand the room space. The tent poles are made with aluminum which is also shock-corded so you can rest assured it is durable enough to withstand strong winds.
The 82 square feet floor area of the Kelty Trail Ridge 6 camping tent has enough room to accommodate as much as 6 people. With its 6 feet center height, you can easily stand straight and move around. The 2 doors for this camping tent also improve the tent’s space to allow easy entry and exit.
The Kelty Trail Ridge 6 camping tent has a rainfly with the side-release tent rain fly connection. This can serve as rain protection and shade under the sun.
The rainfly is also removable which exposes the tent’s mesh wall panels. This is not like any other outdoor camping tent when it comes to ventilation features.
The mesh wall panels offer excellent air flow inside the tent which makes the Kelty Trail Ridge 6 an ideal family outdoor tent during the summer heat. This camping tent is also quick and easy to set up and you are ready to use it in just 20 minutes.
Things to Consider When Buying the Best 6 Person Tent
Before buying a 6 people outdoor camping tent, there are certain factors and features you have to consider making the best out of your camping experience.
1) Style – There are various types and style of outdoor camping tents you can choose from. There is an A-frame camping tent which is the most basic and oldest type. However, this is not ideal for a family tent since it has minimum shoulder space.
The most common style and ideal for family camping tents are the dome style. It can provide enough headroom which is usually about 6 feet for 6 person camping tents.
The floor shape of the tent should also be considered. You can find a circular and rectangular shaped floor where the latter provides a sufficient room space.
2) Tent Fabric – The fabric used in making a certain camping tent will influence certain factors such as its durability and weight. Common tent fabrics include polyester, poly cotton, and cotton fabric.
Cotton fabric has excellent UV resistance but can absorb water easily which makes it the heaviest among the three. The polyester, however, doesn’t absorb water at all making it the lightest. However, it has low to no UV resistant which makes it not ideal for extreme heat.
Although polyester is the most common fabric type used in tents, the poly cotton fabric is the most ideal. If you can find a camping tent made with poly cotton, you might want to consider buying that. It is not lightweight but not heavy either and has enough durability to stand under sunny weather and last longer.
3) Tent Poles – Tent poles can either be made with fiberglass, aluminum, or steel. Steel poles are the heaviest but are also the most durable. However, this is only used for very large camping tents.
The fiberglass tent poles are the most common in the market since this is also the cheapest and the most lightweight among the three. However, fiberglass is also easy to break under pressure.
Aluminum tent poles are the most ideal. It has enough durability to last longer and doesn’t break easily compared to fiberglass. It is also stable and can withstand strong winds. The downside is that they can be a little expensive.
There are also tent poles that are a combination of fiberglass and aluminum, they can also be the ideal choice.
4) Fabric Seams – How well the fabric seams of a tent are sealed will determine its ability to be water resistant. It should be taped or sealed with nylon tapes to make it even more waterproof.
5) Weather – Different types of tents and the materials used to make a tent will determine the weather which a certain camping tent can be used. Waterproof types of camping tents are more flexible to be used in sunny and rainy weather.
Tips in Camping Tent Maintenance
The durability of an outdoor camping tent will not only determine how and what materials are used. It will also depend on how properly the camping tent is taken care of.
1) Taking down the camping tent properly is the first step in taking proper care and maintenance. When taking down the camping tent, make sure you already cleared the inside. It should be rid of anything such as dirt, rocks, or any debris and things that can ruin or tear the tent fabric.
Unzip all the tent doors and window so the air can get out from the tent before rolling it.
2) Be careful when choosing a storage space for your tent. Most tents come with a carry bag and you can store it inside after rolling. Store the tent bag in a dry and cool space.
Avoid storing it where there is direct sunlight or heat to avoid ruining the tent fabric. Choose a storage space where there are no rodents that can tear the tent fabric.
3) When the tent fabric has stains and tears, take care of it immediately. There are stain removers that are safe for tent fabric. Never use hot water or bleach when trying to get rid of the stain.
A small tent maintenance kit can come in handy. This includes threads, needles, a sponge and some tent cleaning agent.
4) The waterproof feature of a camping tent can wear out after some time. When there is condensation inside of your tent or when the rain doesn’t slide off the roof easily, then it is time to re-proof your camping tent.
Also, avoid using strong detergent when cleaning your tent since this can wear out the waterproof feature easily.
Important Points When Cleaning Tent
- Do not use the washing machine – When cleaning and washing a camping tent, never use a washing machine. It is ideal to clean it in a tub full of warm water, not hot.
- Do not scrub the underside of the tent – When cleaning a camping tent, avoid scrubbing the underside of the tent. This will ruin and damage the polyurethane coating and waterproof feature of the tent. Instead, you can use a damp cloth or a brush that is usually used in cleaning cars since this is usually the soft kind.
- Use a specialized cleaner – After cleaning the camping tent with water, you can use a specialized cleaner and rinse it well with water after.
- Avoid direct sunlight – After cleaning the camping tent thoroughly, put it outside to dry under a shady area. Avoid drying it under the sun since this can ruin the features of the tent fabric. Let the tent air dry completely before rolling and storing it.
How to Waterproof a Camping Tent
The waterproof feature of a camping tent is important especially when you are camping outdoors where there is a possibility of rainy weather. There are some ways you can waterproof your tent to increase rain and water protection.
1) Use a tarp – This is the most basic thing you can do to waterproof your tent. You can put a tarp above your camping tent to help protect it from heavy rains. However, bringing tarps in addition to the tent itself can be a little heavy.
2) Apply Waterproof coating – There are various coating you can find on the market to use in waterproofing your camping tent.
Prior to applying the waterproofer, set up the tent in an open space. Coat your tent fabric accordingly. You can use a damp cloth or sponge to coat some missed parts of the tent afterward.
Note: Using a waterproof coating and maintaining this feature is also essential in keeping your camping tent durable against UV rays exposure.
The best 6 person tent is the ideal tent size for medium sized families and friends to enjoy camping outdoors. It has enough space to accommodate a couple of people and has enough stability to stand against strong winds compared to smaller camping tents.
Choosing the best 6-person camping tent is essential to enjoy the outdoors. Space and ventilation should be considered. It should be made using quality and flexible materials that can still be effective under different outdoor conditions.
Last update on 2020-10-17 at 15:47 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. More info.