Having the best cordless drill is essential, whether you’re a beginner in simple repair and maintenance tasks or a professional in the field. A reliable cordless model allows you to drill holes, while driving screws with the same device, and there’s no need to worry about using a nearby outlet to power your device.
The number of cordless drills on the market can be overwhelming, and it may not be that clear to find the best one. Luckily, this article will talk about no less than the top rated cordless drills, reviewed and rated by actual users.
A cordless drill is a perfect addition to your tool box, as you can use it both indoors and outdoors since it doesn’t require an A/V connection. This power tool is widely known for its portability and versatility, making it a very handy device in accomplishing wide ranges of applications.
So, without so much ado, here are the top cordless drill reviews with various features and specifications. Hence, understanding the items individually will help you sort out the best option for your needs.
[table id=CordlessDrill responsive=”phone”/]
Best Cordless Drill Reviews
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Cordless Drill Reviews
- 2 Cordless Drill Buying Guide
- 3 Conclusion
Black & Decker LDX220SBFC
Among the top cordless drills on the market today is the Black & Decker LDX220SBFC. With an average rating of 4.5-Stars, this device features a fast charger, providing the serious DIYers with just the power they need. This drill/driver also features lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery technology that can hold a charge of a maximum of 18 months, ensuring an on-the-go tool. It has a 2-speed design for optimum control.
Besides its fast charging ability, this device also offers an increased performance with a very easy-to-use interface that never compromises power and performance. This tool has been designed to handle different tasks, ranging from shelf installation to furniture assembly.
In spite its lightweight design, it can still handle serious tasks with ease. It has a compact design that also allows easy access into hard-to-reach areas like around cabinetry. The 35-minute fast charging capacity of this tool also prevents down time, while allowing the user to work continuously through demanding jobs.
The Black & Decker LDX220SBFC boasts variable speeds, resulting in an improved control for the user’s convenience. It allows drilling and driving between 0 and 400 RPM at low speed or 0 and 1400 RPM at high speed. This power tool has an 11-position clutch that helps in the prevention of stripping of screws.
The tool’s ergonomic handle design is combined with an over molded grip for optimum comfort. It has a keyless chuck that leads to simple and quick bit changes, while an LED light comes available in illuminating project areas. Without a doubt, this is the most powerful cordless drill of Black & Decker fans, considering its innovative design, portability, and affordability.
The PORTER-CABLE PCCK600LB is also a worth-considering tool on the market nowadays. The kit includes all the necessary things for drilling holes at job sites. This 4.6-Star-rated power tool allows you to keep drilling, despite dark areas.
It is powered by a high-output motor, delivering 300 unit watts out. Its half-inch drill driver also runs on a removable 20V li-ion battery with 1.5 amp-hour cells. Additionally, the battery is capable of powering an LED work light, offering optimum convenience at workshops.
This is one of the best cordless drills due to its built-in battery gauge that provides real-time visual indication of the battery charge level. It has a spare battery that is intended to double the drill’s operating time. Its compact and lightweight design employs a metal ratcheting chuck, which prevents bits against slipping, while in use.
Moreover, this tool has a 2-speed gear box, hitting 400 RPM for small-scale jobs, and 1600 RPM for more demanding applications. It has the accessories and platform to power through the most demanding wood drilling, metal drilling, and fastening applications.
It has a unique design of eliminating user fatigue without compromising the power and speed. Thanks to the drill’s high-output motor and 2-speed gearbox. PORTER-CABLE PCCK600LB is perfect for wide ranges of projects like framing out rooms, installing cabinetry, and fastening hinges.
Undoubtedly, one of the selling points of this tool is the li-ion innovation from Porter-Cable, capitalizing on the latest battery platform so as to deliver long-lasting power in getting jobs done as fast and accurately as possible.
On the other hand, the DEWALT DC970K-2 Compact Drill/Driver Kit receives an average rating of 4.7-Stars. This power tool has a lightweight construction and a compact design. It can fit into tight areas easily, minimizing user fatigue simultaneously.
This is the best Dewalt drill with a high-performance motor that delivers a maximum power of 380W unit out. Its dual-speed range of 0-450 RPM and 0-1500 RPM provides optimal performance. This tool also features a half-inch single sleeve keyless ratcheting chuck for a tighter grip.
In every purchase of the DEWALT DC970K-2 Compact Drill/Driver Kit, you’ll also receive 2 compact NiCad batteries, double ended screwdriver bit, one hour charger, and a kit box. Certainly, this kit packs so much in a small box.
This cordless drill is perfect for a variety of applications such as cabinet installation, framing, and HVAC work. While it is ideal for the power tool collection of a DIYer, it is in fact, a great addition to a professional’s tool box and a great foundation for professional contractors.
Surely, this cordless and compact drill is perfect for working at awkward angles and tight spaces, offering accuracy and an increased precision at the same time. It is a portable that can be transported easily, especially with its well-designed contractor bag.
There is no thinking twice as the DEWALT DC970K-2 Compact Drill/Driver Kit is the best 18v cordless drill from Dewalt, a leading and trusted manufacturer of industrialized power tools and accessories, including hammers, saws, grinders, plate joiners, sanders, routers, lasers, compressors, and many more.
Next on the list of the best cordless tools is the Hitachi DS18DSAL Cordless Drill/Driver. This tool enjoys a 4.6-Star rating due to its powerful punches packed in one.
It is very easy to handle with variable-speed that offers professional power in the most lightweight, compact, and ergonomic design. The kit comes with the UB18DAL Li-Ion Flashlight from Hitachi for added convenience.
Its compact design simply minimizes user fatigue without compromising its performance. The Hitachi DS18DSAL is the first in the brand’s compact Pro Series, measuring at only 7.7 inches long, while weighing at only 3.5 pounds. This design simply eliminates strain and stress, even when you hold and use it all day long.
For optimum versatility, this power tool offers variable speed, allowing you to match the right speed to a certain job. In addition, the 22-stage clutch, plus a special drilling mode allows precision driving and high torque applications.
In fact, the Hitachi DS18DSAL is the first in its class torque for heavy-duty applications. It has an unmatched torque of 460 in./lbs., giving this tool the needed boost in taking masonry, hardwoods, and many other heavy-duty drilling tasks.
For user-friendly operation, the Hitachi DS18DSAL also features an LED light, a belt hook, and half-inch ratcheting chuck. The LED work light simply illuminates work surfaces, while the keyless ratcheting metal chuck accepts assortments of bits for greater flexibility. The carbon brushes are externally accessible for easy replacement, resulting in a longer tool life. All these features make the Hitachi DS18DSAL the best cordless drill brand.
Finally, the Makita LCT200W Cordless Combo Kit garners an average rating of 4.7-Stars. This model claims to be built for the professional user who needs a world-class cordless tool for driving, drilling, and fastening in a compact size.
The Makita LCT200W features a compact and versatile half-inch driver-drill, and a powerful impact driver, weighing at only 2.8 pounds. Both the driver-drill and the impact driver are powered by the 18V li-ion battery technology of Makita and the brand’s Energy Star-rated Rapid Optimum Charger.
This best rated cordless drill claims to be the best cordless solution with the brand’s four-pole maximum torque motor, delivering 480-inch-pounds of torque as well as 290 inch-pound of PTI torque. Additionally, this tool has 2-speed all-metal transmission, which delivers between 0 and 400 RPM at low speed, while 0 and 1500 RPM at high speed for different driving and drilling applications.
The brand’s proprietary hammer as well as the anvil impact mechanism has been designed with only the best raw materials of the highest quality steel, plus a unique heat hardening process that results in no less than the optimum fastening and driving power.
Makita has combined performance and power in this tool, building the Makita LCT200W for wide ranges of applications and solutions for pro trades like remodeling, plumbing, HVAC, electrical, woodworking, and many more. It is best-in-class engineered and an innovative cordless combo kit. Certainly, the Makita LCT200W is another epitome of Makita’s unwavering commitment to delivering innovative technology and portable solutions.
Finding the best power drill can really become overwhelming because of the many manufacturers and brands on the market. Fortunately, you can still arrive at the best deal possible as long as you keep in mind these helpful tips, while shopping for such tool.
Design and Comfort
Primarily, the design and of the tool must feel comfortable as you use it. This is more so if you’re bound to using the drill for long hours in accomplishing projects. Some designs may feel comfortable the first time you pick it up and use it, but, consider how it feels like holding it for a longer period. You should also consider the work you need to accomplish, balancing the power you need against the weight and size you can handle comfortably.
The best hand drill has a comfortable design. There are two styles to choose from, including the T-handle drill, which offers a handle close to the drill’s body. This design has a more balanced design as the weight is distributed for less wrist strain. Other corded drills offer a pistol-grip design, wherein the handle is located at the drill’s rear.
Some capabilities of the power drill are essential for specific tasks, while others simply make a task easier.
- Drill Chuck – There are different sizes of the drill chuck, ranging from ¼-inch to 3/8, and ½-inch. This measurement affects the capability of the drill because it is the portion that holds the bit, indicating the maximum-diameter bit shank that will fit the drill. A power drill with ¼-inch chuck, for instance, is enough for a light-duty driver, while a 3/8-inch is typical for tasks around the home and this variety accepts assortments of bits. On the other hand, the ½-inch chuck can handle heavier applications.
- Variable Speed – A drill that features variable speeds means it has an adjustable clutch, giving you optimum versatility in drilling various materials, while using different bits at the same time. Drilling masonry, metal, hardwood, and softwood require different torque and speeds, or rotational force. Meanwhile, larger bits and harder materials require lower torque and speeds. Lower torque and higher speed work very well with smaller bits and softer materials.
- Drill Trigger – This drill feature also affects the capability of the entire tool. It is wise to ensure that the drill trigger is located at a comfortable place or position, allowing you a comfortable control of the speed as well.
- Gear Switch – Another thing to look for in a drill is the gear switch that will let you set the drill gearing for high torque and low speed or low torque and high speed.
- Keyed vs. Keyless Chuck – A power drill with a keyed chuck requires a certain tool in tightening and loosening. However, just like the reviewed above, most power drills nowadays have keyless chuck, requiring tightening or loosening by the mere hand. A keyless chuck is the most helpful option if your task requires a repeated changing between a driver bit and a drill bit. This option has better capabilities, while making your tasks simpler and quicker.
Keep in mind that aside from the weight and mobility, design and comfort, power is also a crucial consideration in choosing such tool. Cordless power tool reviews usually indicate that cordless drills offer high mobility with wide ranges of features. Voltage rating between 4 and 8 are enough for light-duty cordless screwdrivers, while 12V to 18V drills will suffice most needs of homeowners.
Higher-power models will handle heavier works. Take note, however, that more voltage is equivalent to heavier battery that will require recharging periodically. A spare battery will come in handy, allowing continuing your task, while the other is recharging. The amp-hour ratings will tell you exactly how long the battery will be running.
Therefore, more volts and more amp-hours equate to longer run time. But, again, the materials you are working with, the battery charge level, the level of continuous use, and the temperature may affect the battery life.
While the corded drill also offers high power with lighter weight than most cordless drills, with an amp rating that also represents its power, allowing a steady power supply with greater run time as there is no need for battery recharging, a corded drill just restricts mobility. An extension is always necessary, based on the distance of the work area versus the available power outlet.
A power drill is classified into three main categories, including the Combi drill, Drill driver, and the Impact driver. You will learn about the differences and similarities of each category in this section of the article.
- Combi Drill – A combi drill offer three main functions – to drill holes into metal or wood, to drive screws, and to drill holes into masonry and concrete through its hammer function. This category of drill typically offers two or three speeds, including low speeds for high torque applications, higher speeds for metal or wood drilling, and the hammer functionality that adds a huge blow on your drilling task such as drilling masonry. Take note of the combi drill’s construction, considering a metal gear box or a metal chuck because combi drills are meant for robust applications.
- Drill Driver – The drill driver offers two functions – drilling holes into metal and wood, and driving screws. Drill drivers are usually equipped with multiple torque settings and two speeds, but the torque is not as high as what the combi drill and an impact driver can offer. Take note of the capacity of holes that the drill driver will allow you to drill, including the top torque setting that affects the materials to be drilled effectively.
- Impact Driver – The impact driver is equipped with a hex chuck, a quick-release mechanism. The hex chuck is totally different from the chucks found in drill drivers and combi drills, because this portion is specifically designed in driving screws into tough work materials or pieces. Drilling applications are still possible with the impact driver with the correct bit fitted. Keep in mind that an impact driver is all about high torque combined with high levels of impact. At times, it can even outperform the best combi drill in this area.
At this point, you might still be wondering about what is the best cordless drill? The answer is found in this article because the top-rated and superior quality cordless drills have been presented to you. Simply compare and analyze the advantages of one model over the other, helping you arrive at the best pick possible. By doing so, you will also get your money’s worth.
Over and above, the best portable drill is a power tool and a sensible investment that will help you in accomplishing your tasks faster, easier, and more convenient all at the same time, whether you’re engaged in a simple home repair task or a serious project in your workshop.