Many people do not bother answering the question “what is the best engine degreaser?” This is because they do not even consider cleaning their engine for maintenance and mechanical work preparation. You may have no issue frequently seeing your engine cringe-worthy due to dust, dirt, and rust. However, there is a lot of difference by considering the use of the strongest degreaser.
Degreasers are made of chemicals that could get rid of grease and oil, which are among the most difficult to clean or get rid of substances. These products are not only meant to keep your engine clean but they also serve the purpose of lengthening its lifecycle. Professionals also proved that degreasers could avoid mechanical problems in the future.
Best Engine Degreaser Review
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Engine Degreaser Review
- 2 What to Look for When Buying
- 3 Conclusion
Purple Power 4320P Engine Degreaser could be your best commercial degreaser due to its concentrated formula, which is proven to remove dirt, oil, and grease on any surface. Its formulation is perfected with components that develop a barrier between the treatment surface and stain. In a matter of seconds, it could get rid of even the most stubborn stains.
The formulation is considered a versatile solution that is not only useful for cars, but also for the machinery used in industries, farming, marine applications, and home. The specialized solution under the brand has an industrial strength. Furthermore, the degreaser is not flammable or abrasive.
Apart from removing the tough stains on your car’s engine, it will also give a new look to your machine. Others have reported that using the cleaner could also give off the whitening advantage. Even if you are working on old components, it could make the job much easier.
Purple Power 4320P Engine Degreaser works faster than other degreasers in the market. It is your preference to use a brush if you find it hard to reach other areas of the engine. Others even considered it better than professional automotive cleaning service.
The degreaser is very potent and has a drying effect. This is why it is advisable to wear gloves when applying it. Moreover, make the cleaning area properly ventilated before beginning the degreasing.
- Melts grease quickly
- Works on kitchenware
- Can serve as a degreaser soak
- Makes surfaces shiny after cleaning
- Strong formula
- May cause paint discoloration when not properly diluted
- Concentrated formula penetrates grease, oil and dirt on...
- Creates barrier between stain and surface
- In just seconds, Purple Power wipes away even the toughest...
This is another choice in the list of the best oil degreaser that claims to provide the number one selling formula in the market. Gunk EB1 is specifically made to remove engine’s tough oil and grease build-up. Apart from its fast-acting formula, it ensures deep penetrating and self-emulsifying advantages.
It makes sure that your engine will not only look better but work longer. It is useful for cars, trucks, marine fleet, power mowers, farm machinery, industrial machines, and rigs among others. It targets grease that keeps your engine from working at its best performance.
The formula is one of the originals under the brand. If you have leaky engines, this is a solution to use. For more than 55 years, it has earned its keep in the recommended degreasers’ list.
Gunk EB1 eliminates the need to wipe or brush the grease off of your engine. It is a spraying formula that simply requires waiting for 10 to 15 minutes. Once the formula sat on the engine’s surface, you may rinse it with water.
For added shine, you may follow up with Engine Protector Shine from the same brand. According to the manufacturer, the formula adds a protective layer to make your engine look new for a longer time. The finish will be satin-like, making your upcoming maintenance more manageable.
- Works even on caked-up grease
- Cleans even the deepest engine areas
- Does not strip car paint
- Keep engine looking new
- Easier application
- Has quite strong odor
- Our #1 best selling formula
- Removes tough grease and oil build-up
- For hardworking, leaky engines
This could be an alternative to your best water based degreaser. Simple Green 19010 is made with foaming crystal formula that is not abrasive, high in toxicity, and flammable. It is a biodegradable engine cleaner that could work even on the hardest areas of your engine.
It allows a more controlled application and extended contact period. This means it will work longer in order to remove the build-up of grease and oil. Furthermore, it could cling even to vertical places of any engine material such as plastic, rubber, and metal.
The formulation of the product could be regarded highly safe for anyone’s use. In spite of inhalation, there will be no respiratory irritation. Moreover, in the case of breathing issues, you simply have to breathe in fresh air to recover.
Skin problems are also not reported with the use of the degreaser. Nonetheless, it was clarified that you should prevent ingestion and eye contract. Other than those mentioned, there are no acute effects of using the formulation.
The number of ingredients in Simple Green 19010 will not cause toxicity and are compliant to the standards of Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals.
- Convenient spray-on solution
- Works in minutes
- Suitable even for kitchenware
- No chemical smell
- Makes engine look new
- May not work for serious carbon build-up
- The specialized foaming formula clings to vertical and...
- The foaming action provides some agitation of the crystal...
- Foaming crystal Simple Green is non-toxic, non-abrasive,...
The engine degreaser claims to exceed expectations by getting rid of the most stubborn grease and oil build-up in your vehicle at a quicker rate. The formula claims to have a free rinsing and quick acting components that will not leave a residue. Furthermore, it is considerably due to its herbal fragrance.
Meguiar’s D10801 engine degreaser is a VOC-compliant solution, which means it meets the strictest standards in air quality maintenance. Despite this, it does not compromise an effective grease-removing process. It is high in alkalinity, unlike other products, proving its suitability to the removal of grime and grease.
Meguiar’s D10801 degreaser is also very easy to use. For rigorous cleaning, you simply need a part of it to be mixed with four parts of water. For medium cleaning, you need a part of the degreaser and 10 parts of water.
A spray bottle is included in the package, which will make the application of degreaser easier. Simply spray onto your cool engine. Let it sit in for 30 to 45 seconds before rinsing with water.
In less than a minute, your engine will be grease-free and will look new. For a more effective preparation of the degreaser, you may get the Detail Bottle from Meguiar’s with measurement guide.
- All-purpose cleaner
- Works more quickly than any other degreaser
- Lasts for years
- Requires minimal effort
- No after smell
- More expensive
- Strong and fast acting for the toughest jobs
- Residue-free performance prevents unsightly white residue...
- Pleasant herbal fragrance
SuperClean 101786 degreaser will quickly and completely dissolve the build-up of grease and oil on your engine with minimal effort. Besides grease, it removes tar, dirt, and wax all at the same time. The formula has an industrial standard, but it is formulated to be phosphate-free and biodegradable.
SuperClean 101786 may last longer since a small quantity of it could finish the toughest work. You simply need to dilute it in water. The degreaser not only works on engines, but also on lawn, wheels, boats, appliances, golf clubs, mowers, fishing rods, BBQ grills, and laundry among others.
The formulation requires simple steps beginning with spraying it onto the dirty engine. Next, you let the solution sit in for around 60 seconds. Afterward, you may spray water to rinse the removed grease and formula.
You would not need to rub off the grease-filled areas for it works even on thick build-ups. Compared to using other cleansers and soaps, this could work on different surface materials. It cleans plastics, stainless steel, fiberglass, chrome, vinyl, porcelain, and tiles among others.
- Easy clean-up assistance
- Environmentally-safe solution
- Works even on carpets and floors
- Does not leave a bad odor
- Works in small amounts2w
- May strip off car paint
- SuperClean dissolves grease on contact and quickly removes...
- Industrial strength, yet biodegradeable and phosphate free....
- Use powerful SuperClean cleaner-degreaser at full strength...
Types of Engine Degreaser
Your choice of the best engine degreaser includes taking regard of the product type. Degreasers are not found as a one-form solution. There are varying formulation characteristics that also determine how effective or useful a degreaser is.
1) Environmentally Friendly Degreaser – This is a type of degreaser that could be considered highly recommendable and effective. The formulation normally includes baking soda, lemon juice, vinegar, castile soap, and cornstarch among others. There are times that citrus oils are also used.
The type of degreaser could be applied on brass, glass, copper, and stainless steel surfaces. For automobile engine cleaning, professionals recommend looking for low volatile organic compounds (VOCs). By doing so, you could avoid breathing problems and air pollution despite using them.
Other degreasers under this category already come with cleaning formulation. As a result, a combined task is taking place.
2) Metal Solvent Degreaser – This formulation is usually used in vehicles and machinery. You may use it to remove grease from the motor, bearings, joints, and other components of the engine. There are cases where metal solvent degreaser will serve as a soaking solution to effectively remove the grease.
3) Petroleum-Based Degreaser – This product often contains ethanol and distillates, which are best for cars and its parts. Apart from removing grease, the solution is also useful in getting rid of residues from lubricants, gasoline, and oil.
4) Vapor Solvent Degreaser – This makes use of a different method of removing grease from parts. Basically, it works by placing a vehicle part on top of the vapor. The vapor will then come into contact with the car parts, resulting in the gradual removal of grease without submersion.
This solvent degreaser usually comes in a unit with dual tanks. Each container has a different solution in it. Many prefer this degreaser for it does not require soaking automobile parts in solvents.
5) Foam Degreaser – These are degreasers that are popularly applied for car engines and electrical appliances. It works similarly to how house cleaners work. You simply have to wipe its application off without the use of water.
6) Ultrasonic Degreaser – Others consider this type as the best degreaser for their car due to its advanced formulation. Instead of vapor, it utilizes ultrasonic waves to remove grease and residues from parts. Relatively, automobile parts are placed into the tank and sealed.
The ultrasonic degreaser will be operated for a certain amount of time. Apart from engines, it may also be used for mechanical tools and jewelry due to its small-sized tank.
What to Look for When Buying
The best engine cleaner is obtainable by considering several aspects prior to handing over your money. There are various engine degreasers around, which makes the selection more confusing. To assist you in choosing the right product, here are the factors to take regard of:
- Find Dual Purpose Formulation – You should not settle with a formulation that simply gets rid of the grease from your engine’s parts. It is more reliable to find a product that will remove grease and inhibit it from forming in the future. At present, there are degreasers available with inhibitors.
- Check the Contents – The degreasers could be considered highly effective based on its contents. For instance, among the most useful extracts for removing grease is terpene-based orange peel. Moreover, you may consider esters as effective solutions that keep fats and greases from building up on the surface of your car parts.
- Safe on Any Surface – Degreasers must only remove the unwanted substances from your engine’s parts and not cause further damage. Look for formulations that are not only safe on steel, but also on plastic, paint, and rubber materials.
- Look for Evaporation Control – If you will use solvent-based degreasers, you should find one with suitable evaporation rate. By doing so, you could guarantee longer and stronger cleaning effects.
- Avoid Heavy Odor – There are degreasers made with weaker odor, ensuring the protection of asthmatic people. Most of the formulas made from natural compounds emit a safer odor that will not trigger breathing issues. Find one so you would have no worries in using the degreaser for longer periods.
- Does Not Leave Residue – There are degreasers that may provide extra work by leaving white residue on the surface of car components. Find one that could dry considerably leaving no spot. Choosing a degreaser that could be rinsed with water is a great option.
- Versatile – It is ideal to look for a formulation that will not only work on your cars, but also for general equipment maintenance, specialized parts, and other machinery.
- Safest Possible Solution – You should try looking for formulations that are free from toxic substances. Moreover, find a solution that is not flammable, toxic, corrosive, and combustible among others.
- Suitable for Longer Use – There are bottles of degreasers that could work on several engines before running out. It is more probable to save more quantities of the cleaner with liquid solutions.
Using/ Safety Tips
Once you have chosen your best cleaner degreaser, you should learn how to use it properly. The manual or instructions given by the manufacturer may not be sufficient at times. To help you make the task of car degreasing more successful, here are tips that may help:
- Wear Protective Clothing – You would not want to dispose of your clothes right after degreasing. It is best to wear protective clothing against degreasing chemicals and debris. You should also pair your clothing with safety eyewear.
- Prepare the Car – You should prepare the car which engine is scheduled for cleaning. Choose a parking space almost level to the group. Do not forget to apply the emergency brake as well.
- Warm Up the Engine – Before applying the engine degreaser, you should warm up your vehicle to its operating temperature, but not too hot. This helps make the cleaning easier and the grease more removable. The high engine’s temperature aids in melting the grease easily.
- Use a Large Tray – The large tray is best used under your car’s engine. As you degrease the residues of gasoline, oil, and chemicals, it will go through the container. Ensure that the tray is big enough for the runoff and has granules for absorbing oil.
- Seal Electrical Parts – You should not expose other parts of your engine from the degreasing formula. You could use tape, plastic, or rubber to cover electrical wires, distributor cap, and ignition coil. Do not forget to seal the air intake box.
- Use High-Pressure Water – Removing grease in the recently cleaned engine may be easy, but this is not the same case with extremely dirty engines. There are even cases that more than two applications of degreaser are required to remove the grease. High-pressure water with a hose is helpful in rinsing the engine more effectively.
- Keep a Wiping Cloth – Microfiber wiping cloth is necessary to remove excess amounts of your best automotive degreaser. It will keep the paint of your car protected and less exposed to chemicals.
- Use Brush for Stubborn Spots – Wiping may no longer work for tough spots and residues on the surface of car parts. You may apply the degreaser and scrub the stains with a brush, preferably with long handles.
- Do Not Dispose of Grease Irresponsibly – You should not throw the grease you have collected right into the trash. Instead, it is best to call the nearest automobile service shop, which may assist in the proper clean-up of the waste.
Since you already have the list of products to consider, guidelines in selecting one, and tips for using the degreaser, there is no reason for you to leave your engine’s grease build-up. It is time to bring back the shine of your engine and ensure that it will serve you longer.
Last update on 2021-01-18 at 20:27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. More info.