Everyday home cleaning is made easier and faster when you have the best hardwood floor vacuum cleaner. This appliance has become an important part when cleaning indoor spaces because you can efficiently perform your task without exerting too much effort.
Cleaning hardwood floors can be intimidating because if not done properly, you can damage the surface. It is then vital that you choose a floor vacuum specially designed for hardwood surfaces.
Since modern hardwood floor cleaners have different features, you need to carefully check out each brand and model. With sufficient knowledge on-hand, you will be able to make an informed decision in choosing the best hardwood floor vacuum.
Best Hardwood Floor Vacuum Review
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Hardwood Floor Vacuum Review
- 2 Hardwood Floor Vacuum Buying Guide
- 3 Conclusion
If you are looking for an uncomplicated and cordless vacuum floor cleaner, then the Hoover Linx BH50010 vacuum is the one for you. It is one of the simplest models especially with its features since it only has 3 options: on with brush roll and suction, on with suction only, and off.
The on with brush roll and suction option is used for carpets while the on with suction only option is used for hardwood as well as other plain floors.
When cleaning carpets, this vacuum cleaner can pick small particles such as baking soda and it’s also capable of picking larger dirt such as cat food. Typically, the vacuum can clear dirt with just one or two passes when used on low pile carpets.
As for bare floors, the Hoover Linx BH50010 vacuum has an excellent upright cleaning performance because it is capable of effortlessly picking small to medium sized pieces of dirt.
One great feature of this cleaner is its handle which can be reclined at exceptionally low levels. This allows you to easily reach more areas underneath countertops and furniture.
This simple hardwood floor vacuum is operated using a lithium-ion battery and it comes with a separate charger. While using the vacuum, you can clearly see how much power you have because of the LED battery indicator.
The Hoover Linx BH50010 vacuum may be a simple vacuum cleaner with minimal features but it is capable of cleaning your floors right up to the edges. So, if you’re after an affordable cleaner with basic functions, then this vacuum cleaner is something that you should consider.
Compared to others in the list of the best vacuum for hard floors which are mostly 12-amp, the Shark Navigator NV356E vacuum only has 10 amp. However, even if it has slightly lower amperage, this vacuum can still keep up with the cleaning powers of other vacuum cleaners.
Just like the Hoover Linx BH50010 Vacuum, this device can clean both carpet and hardwood surfaces. However, it has more sophisticated features like the cyclonic technology, anti-allergen seal, and its detachable canister.
With the cyclonic technology, this vacuum cleaner can effectively separate the tiny dust particles from the air, preventing the accumulated dirt from clogging the filter. When the filter is free from any debris, the vacuum can provide stable cleaning performance because its pressure is not undermined.
Another feature that makes the Shark Navigator NV356E vacuum stand out from others is its anti-allergen seal with HEPA filter. With this feature, all allergens that are drawn inside the vacuum are trapped within the device; thus, it can’t go and circulate back into the air.
The vacuum’s HEPA filter captures both dirt particles and allergens. This filter is capable of trapping 99.99% of allergens, hence the quality of the interior air is preserved.
Lastly, the detachable canister of this hardwood floor vacuum will allow you to clean spaces which are typically hard to reach when using other vacuum cleaners.
If you are particular about the vacuum’s transportability, flexibility, and filtration system, then the Shark Navigator NV356E Vacuum is the one you should opt for especially because it is one of the best wood floor vacuum in the market today.
As the name suggests, this cleaner is not only one of the best hard floor vacuum that can clean dirt and debris on the floor, but it can also remove pet hairs. Cleaning pet hairs can be a challenge for other devices but not with Bissell PowerEdge Pet vacuum because it is specifically designed for pet owners.
This vacuum cleaner has a state-of-the-art design with a V-shaped nozzle that is intended to make picking of larger pieces of dirt easier. It is also effective when cleaning smaller dirt and debris so no filth gets left behind. It can remove even that dirt stuck in tight places and corners.
The suction of the Bissell PowerEdge Pet Vacuum is located at the center of the device so it is able to suction bigger dirt. The suction at the end of the V-shaped nozzle takes care of the finer particles. With this, you can successfully eliminate allergens without a brush roll.
Aside from the nozzle design, another feature which adds an advantage to this cleaner is its swivel motion. This makes the device maneuverable not only in open areas but also in areas near furniture legs and beneath kitchen counters.
Even if the vacuum has cords, it’s still easy to use since it has a 20-foot wire. It’s one of the few vacuums with very lengthy cords, making sure that the wires won’t limit you from reaching different corners in your home.
If you are a pet owner who is tired of seeing pet hair all over your floor, then the Bissell PowerEdge Pet Vacuum is the best hard floor cleaner for you.
The VonHaus 600W 2-in-1 vacuum can be used to clean floors and at the same time, it can also be utilized as a handheld cleaner that comes with different useful attachments. It can clean all areas in your home proficiently since it is a handy vac that comes with a crevice tool so you won’t have to struggle ever again when cleaning.
This vacuum only weighs 1.6 kg, has a 5-meter cord, and a low-profile base so you can easily reach even those hard-to-clean spaces like stairs, around furniture, and even under bed and tables. This vacuum can clean not just hardwood floors, but also carpets and even upholstery.
Just like Shark Navigator NV356E Vacuum, the VonHaus 600W 2-in-1 vacuum also has HEPA filtration technology, making it very useful for individuals who have respiratory problems such as asthma. However, this device does not have a completely sealed system. It also does not have a bag; hence, it can still be unprotected as you empty the vacuum.
The drawback with this vacuum cleaner is that it has a short cord without a cord rewind so you may need to transfer it from one outlet to another so you can reach different areas of your home. You may also opt to use an extension wire to make up for its short cord.
But even with the downside we mentioned earlier, the VonHaus 600W 2-in-1 vacuum is still a contender as one of the best vacuum for hardwood floors because of its affordability and versatility.
When it comes to affordability and cleaning efficiency, the Dirt Devil SD20505 vacuum is a product to beat. It is a stick vacuum which means that it is lighter and definitely smaller compared to regular upright cleaners. You can store it even in tight spaces where normal vacuums won’t normally fit.
Compared to handheld vacuums, sticks are easy to use because you don’t need to bend over when using and operating the machine. However, even if the vacuum sticks are capable of cleaning superficial dirt, it may not have as much suction so you can’t compare its cleaning competence with standing deep-cleaning vacuums.
A notable feature of this vacuum is its amazing maneuverability simply because of structure, body shape, and on-board rotating wheels. When operating the vacuum, you just simply need to hold the handle to move it around. You can just effortlessly push it and it will glide through different areas in your home.
The flexible wand of this vacuum cleaner is expandable which means that you can lengthen or shorten it depending on the areas you want to clean. There is no need to bend over to reach inaccessible areas so there’s no need to exert too much effort when doing the chore.
The Dirt Devil SD20505 vacuum is for individuals who are looking for a light yet competitive cleaner with reasonable price to clean moderate to large sized areas. On top of these features, this cleaner also comes with an ultra-powerful filtration system that can trap microbes and pollutants.
Although it is handheld, this is still a contender to be the best sweeper for hardwood floors.
Hardwood Floor Vacuum Buying Guide
There are many things to consider when buying the best vacuum cleaner for hardwood floors but before going through all these, you need to understand that the needs of one buyer are different from another. So, don’t assume that a particular cleaner will work for you just because somebody recommended it to you.
Before buying a vacuum cleaner, it is important to assess your needs when it comes to the type, weight, suction capacity, accessories, and the price.
Common Types of Hardwood Floor Vacuum
- Upright – An upright vacuum cleaner costs less than the canister type and it has a broader cleaning strip so it is capable of cleaning spaces at a faster rate. Upright vacuums with bags normally excel when it comes to deep cleaning carpets.
Upright vacuums can be hard to move around because of their weight. Most upright vacuums weight about 20 pounds.
- Stick – Vacuum sticks are a bit similar to uprights because of their taller grips, body framework, and power heads. This type of vacuum is specially designed for quick and effortless clean-up so it weighs less compared to other types. Because of its design, you don’t need to bend to clean hard-to-reach areas because you can easily adjust most vacuum stick handles.
Stick vacuums are not as efficient as upright and canister vacuums when cleaning carpets. It also has smaller dustbins so regular emptying is needed.
- Canister – When it comes to cleaning stairs, upholstery, and bare floors, the canister type is much better compared to upright vacuums. There are even brands and models that compete well with upright when it comes to cleaning carpets.
One noticeable difference of this type when compared to stick and upright is that its power head is separate so it’s lighter and easier to maneuver.
This type is mostly the largest and it can be hard to find a storage space for this device. You’ll probably need a bigger storage space because it won’t fit in a regular sized cabinet or storage area.
- Handheld – Handhelds are smaller vacuum versions. They can either come with a cord or can be cordless, too. This device is ideal for light and speedy exterior cleaning for bare floors and short piled carpets. Since it’s small, you can also use this to clean the interior of your vehicle.
Because of its size, handhelds lack the power and suction capacity of the other three types of vacuums. It is not as efficient as the canister or the stick because it has a limited suction capacity.
Below are other features you need to look into before buying the best vacuum for wood floors:
- Weight – The weight of the vacuum would matter a lot especially when there is a need to transfer it from one area of your house to another. If you will use the cleaner in just one area of your house, then one that is heavy would be fine. However, a lighter vacuum cleaner is the best option particularly when you need to clean spaces like stairs and other hard-to-reach places.
- Suction Power – An important feature that you need to consider with vacuum cleaners is its suction power. Vacuums with weak suction power would typically require you to make several passes before you can thoroughly clean an area. This can take time and require effort on your part.
- Filter – There are different kinds of filters that vacuum cleaners offer. Some have the basic filters while some have higher filtration standards such as the HEPA filtration system. You need to consider this feature especially when you or your family are sensitive to allergens and other pollutants.
- Bagged or Bagless option – A bagged vacuum has the ability to contain more dirt so you don’t need to constantly empty the vacuum. When cleaning or emptying the bagged one, dust is produced. As for bagless vacuums, it’s cost effective since you don’t need to constantly purchase bags but it can require more work because you would have to regularly clean it.
- Accessories – Most vacuum cleaners come with add-on cleaning tools such as upholstery brush, round brush, and narrow apparatus for crevices. Some also come with edge cleaners that will enable the whole area of your cleaning head to suction any dirt.
Guidelines on How to Thoroughly Clean Hardwood
Hardwood floors are hard to maintain because they are prone to scratch and can lose its luster. When this happens, it can be hard to restore the magnificence of the floor so it is essential that you properly clean and care for it.
By following these simple steps, you can preserve the look of your floor for years to come.
- Invest on hardwood floor vacuums – Cheap vacuums may have hard wheels and brush bristles that can scratch your floors. That is why investing on a quality hardwood floor cleaner is necessary. High-quality hardwood floor cleaners are particularly designed to carefully clean hardwood floors without damaging it.
- Vacuum daily if you have time – Everyday dust can accumulate on the floor surface and it can clump together making it hard to remove. It is therefore recommended to vacuum your floor daily.
- Dry-up water spills immediately – When water sits on the floor for quite some time, it can be absorbed. This can cause staining so be careful when handling water. When there’s a spill, even just a few droplets, wipe it immediately.
- Use simple solution when mopping – Damp mopping with a neutral solution such as water and soap with neutral pH is recommended. When using wood cleaners, make sure that you check the labels to ensure that it does not contain any harsh chemicals that can damage your floor.
If you want to keep your wooden floors shiny and new, you have to observe the proper way of cleaning it. You also need to choose best hardwood floor vacuum that suits the type of wood you have. The variety of wooden floor cleaners available will not overwhelm you as long as you know what to look for.
So, before you rush into the store, make sure that you have made a careful evaluation of what your needs are including how much you are willing to pay for the device. When you use this buying guideline, you can significantly narrow down your option until you can pick the perfect vacuum for your needs.
Last update on 2021-01-19 at 06:19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. More info.