Looking for the best motorcycle camera is one way of making your ride more fulfilling given you could capture your best rides. Since the technology is advancing, you do not have the reason to take for granted how fun it is to record your tours or sports race. The safety of motorcycle camera has always been ensured, and it even features more versatility.
If you want one for your helmet, you need to find a top-quality product that will last long. While on the road, you need a camera that will record all you memorable tours without compromising image quality. Moreover, you could not only concentrate on the upfront cost of the product for it is not a determinant of the camera’s usefulness.
Best Motorcycle Helmet Review
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Motorcycle Helmet Review
- 2 What to Look For When Buying
- 3 Conclusion
The helmet camera is designed to capture not only your on-track rides but also underwater. The versatile camera could record amazing imagery or visual even when submerged in water. It is a wireless device that is 100% waterproof that could reach up to 30 meters in depth.
Apart from its amazing feature in shooting underwater, Aokon SJ7000 also has an HD WiFi attribute, making it a luxury in recording your best moments while on tour or on a typical highway day. It uses NOVATEK Original Chip for its high-definition digital motion video recording.
The aesthetics of the camera are perfected by it 170-degree wide angle lens, four-time zoom, remote control via WiFi function, 1080p resolution, and two-inch HD screen. These features simply make the possibilities of capturing your rides limitless. These camera aspects explain better why it is a must-have for an outdoor enthusiast and sports.
Aokon SJ7000 was even compared with GoPro, which is also one of the most trusted helmet and portable cameras today. It has an equally durable construction with industry-standard technical performance. Unlike many products of the same kind, it allows remote control via WiFi connection, allowing you to control the camera even with a smartphone.
You may use the camera while surfing, diving, skating, climbing, or even flying, as well as motorcycling. It is specially designed to withstand the most dangerous rides you will have. Furthermore, it comes at a price one-third of GoPro’s, making it a must-buy for most.
- Has a straightforward and hassle-free setting
- Comes with replaceable battery
- WiFi-assisted remote through a smartphone
- Includes micro-HDMI port for television viewing
- Packed with tons of accessories
- Record quality is quite poor in low-light conditions
The helmet camera features a 12-megapixel HD 1080p resolution with its 170-angle wide lens. Apart from its HD screen for viewing, it also has a playback feature. Another significant attribute of the camera is its removable battery that is quick to change and extends the service life of your camera.
The two batteries of ODRVM OD4200-US-B-M have a capacity of as much as 900mAh each. The device is useful not only in motorcycle rides but also in underwater recording. This explains why it is perfect for other applications, such as diving, surfing, skiing, and other extreme sports and even home security.
The video recording device is very convenient to use either with a battery or while charging. Apart from the HD image and video output, it also has an encryption feature. The output formats of the camera are 720p at 60 fps and 1080p at 30 fps, which has an MOV extension.
ODRVM OD4200-US-B-M also has single and multiple photo shooting modes. You will also find it difficult to lose storage since it could take in up to 32 GB SD cards. It could even be synced with Apple or Android smartphones.
- Easy-to-use WiFi connection.
- Great quality pictures and images.
- Can hold around five hours of video.
- Considerable 10-min loop length.
- Comes with two batteries.
- No real-time lapse video.
This product is another high-quality helmet camera for motorcycles. It can record full HD 1080p videos. It even comes with a detachable mount, making the fixation of the camera on your helmet easier.
Besides videos, it also takes still photos featuring its 120-degree wide-angle lens. PowerLead PC6 makes use of standard microSDHC cards. Although the product does not come with a memory card, it could take in up to 32 GB of storage.
The camera also has a built-in lithium battery and a microphone. If you will connect it to a desktop computer or laptop, its system requirement is Windows 2000/ XP/ Vista/ 7/ MAC OS X10.3.6. In every package of the product, you have the F9 sports camera, USB charge cable, car-mounted holder, motorcycle-mounted holder, helmet-mounted holder, strap, and instructions.
Although PowerLead PC6 is resistant to water, it is not recommended for use in diving or surfing. It may be charged using a power source, but the required charger is not included. It only has the 5V mobile charger.
- Battery life lasts long.
- Various mount options.
- Small-sized and lightweight camera.
- Simple settings.
- Videos are lighter and have better color replication.
- Difficult to understand instructions.
It is marketed as the first communication system and action camera combination in one device. Sena 10C-01 is packed with Bluetooth communication and HD camera. The product could capture full HD video of 720p at 60 fps and 1080p at 30 fps.
Apart from videos, it could take still images using its 3.5-megapixel camera. Moreover, it has photo modes, which are time-lapse and burst. It is designed to handle even the most rigorous rides or sports.
Besides motorcycling, it is also applicable for first responders and outdoor activities. It allows you to hear what you want every time and is water-resistant. The device lets you enjoy the ride while listening to your MP3 playlist or FM radio station.
The two-in-one device is also powered with GPS tracker, giving you directions and preventing you from getting lost in an unknown location. Using its simple settings, you switch between the features based on your wants. In one touch, you could start recording.
You may also link Sena 10C-01 to your iPhone or Android smartphone. By doing so, you may access the quick start guide and change the settings.
- Music streaming is seamless.
- Solid mount.
- Useful communication system.
- Has a GPS tracker.
- Delivers steady videos.
- Audio is too loud.
The helmet camera has various mounts available, giving you means to adjust the device in any way you want. Contour ROAM2 has the profile and bar mounts. The camera also has an instant and single-press recording button.
The camera even has a setting for locking in position to make sure you are capturing a video at the right angle. The device has a fast frame speed of 60 fps, which ensures smooth quality of videos. According to Contour, this is in response to its customers’ request.
Moreover, you could choose from different vibrant colors, which are red, blue, black, and green. It also comes with a water-resistant case for added protection. You have a choice to use it underwater since it sheds bulk when immersed.
Contour ROAM2 is also well-known for its minimalist design, which makes it handier in any activity.
- Applicable for slow-motion effects.
- Gives a nice wide eye view.
- Has automatic white balancing feature.
- Lens rotates internally.
- Extended battery life.
- Modes are only changeable using a computer.
Types of Motorcycle Helmet Camera
Helmet cameras for motorcycles could also be termed as bullet, micro video, or lipstick camera. It is an action capturer that is commonly attached to a helmet, recording one’s ride from a person’s point of view. The unique idea of the camera is powered by a closed circuit television technology.
The main advantage of wearing a motorcycle helmet camera is the lack of handling requirement. You could focus on your ride even while the camera captures your journey. The camera will not even obstruct your driving since it is very lightweight and mounted on the top of your helmet.
1) Charged-Coupled Device (CCD) Camera – This is a type of helmet camera that normally works on 12 VDC power. It has an analog signal outturn. Compared with other types of helmet camera, it generates more power.
Despite its high power requirement, many have attested that it has far more superior image quality. Also, its color replication is paramount. In this camera, the light hits the image sensor, which will then result in an electrical signal.
The transfer of the electron packet is done one by one by pixels. The pixel is delivered by an output node to a processor of pictures, which also happens when the voltage is being developed. Buffering of voltage will then follow, and it will become an analog signal sourced from the chip.
It has an extra step in the process of capturing images, which is the pixel transfer. This explains why more energy and time are required by the helmet camera. The high-quality result of CCD sensors could be explained by the dedication of each pixel in collecting light.
The camera does not use rolling shutters, but a global type. The device processes an entire image simultaneously by displaying the entire frame in a specific period. Global shutters are known for preventing distortion of images due to quick light flashes.
2) Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS) Camera – This is a type of image sensor that works on 5VDC and requires smaller power amount compared with CCDs. In terms of size, CMOS is smaller than the above-mentioned helmet camera. It features a circuitry at the pixel level.
The chip is being prepared with a voltage through reading and transferring each pixel. Additional technology is then being utilized, such as digitization, amplifier, and noise correction technology. Altogether, these features create digital data from voltage.
CMOS cameras do not require a different image processor. One reason is its quicker conversion of visual information to a digital one. Besides requiring less power, CMOS camera does not drain battery quickly.
However, CMOS image sensor has a limited capability to capture light, which explains why the image quality it generates is poorer. This is largely due to the sensor’s extra features that overload the pixels. On commercial purposes, CMOS camera features rolling shutters.
Rolling shutters follow the system of exposing one side of an image frame and then the other. It does not perform the capturing at once. Consequently, distortion of recorded data appears.
What to Look For When Buying
Buying the best motorcycle camera could be best done by careful selection of a product. Similar to any device or gear for motorcycles, there are factors to consider before cashing out. Given below are the most important features you should find in a helmet camera:
1) High Image Quality – Cameras are often evaluated based on the image quality. There are different settings available to either save memory or boost the output quality. The crispest video playback quality available is full high definition (HD) or 1080 pixels, which is ideal for television viewing.
The lower resolution you have is 720-pixel quality, which is still an HD output. Moreover, you have the Ultra High Definition or 4K, which is not necessarily a requirement for most riders. In actuality, most choose to set their camera at 720p resolution at a recording rate of 60 frames per second (fps).
2) Mounting Type – There are cameras that could be mounted on the motorcycle. This is not a considerable product since the output of your record will likely be less stabilized. Your best bet is a camera for your helmet, which will give you a great shot of your point of view at a decent quality.
3) Fast Frame Speed – A helmet camera must capture even the fastest ride you had up to the last detail. Images are composed of frames, and these must run quickly for better quality output. You must at least look for helmet cameras with a frame speed of 30 fps or more.
However, you must take note that, as the fps increases, there will be more memory to be consumed. This is when you also have to consider another feature – storage.
4) Increased Storage – If you use your helmet camera for long rides, you must have increased camera storage. Since most of the cameras are adjustable in terms of record quality, there must be more memory available. Helmet cameras often come with Secure Digital (SD) cards, which may eliminate your worry.
5) Longer Battery Life – The lifecycle of your camera largely depends on the quality of the image being captured. Depending on the recording quality, your camera may last from an hour to four. If you could shoot at an average quality, anticipate the battery life to last longer.
6) GPS Tracker – This is a feature that is found in newer models of helmet camera. It is a considerable plus since it keeps you on track and prevents you from getting lost. Its primary role is to inform whether you are riding in the same perimeter.
7) Waterproof Case – The protection of your helmet camera must always be present. Look for a camera that comes with a water-resistant case. This housing not only will keep your device from getting wet but also allows it to survive even after 60-meter immersion.
Usage Safety Tips
The correct use of your helmet camera matters a lot if you want to have a high-quality record that is worth sharing. Similar to any camera available, you will only get the most out of the device by following professional tips, such as the following:
1) Wear It Properly – Before you even wear your helmet, you must fix the camera on it. It is best to place the mount of the camera near the front. Do not put the camera too high like it is almost an antenna over your head.
According to professionals, the best capturing technique is to place the camera where it can record the action two to three meters from your location.
2) Experiment With Placement – Helmet cameras have different structures and designs. There are cameras whose settings are on the side, whereas others have the buttons at the top. You must experiment on how to place it so you could easily reach the controls even while on the road.
Even if you are prioritizing getting the camera fixed, you must ensure that the vents and visors could still be opened or closed.
3) Keep Clips Short – You should not record too long while on the road. Remember, too much recording will consume large memory. Moreover, who would even want to watch an endless ride that nothing special even happens all the time.
4) Follow the Law – There are areas that do not allow the use of cameras on helmets. You must check this regulation before visiting a location. One general guideline is to prevent wearing the cameras if you will cross an international border.
5) Do Not Focus the Camera on the Ground – If you would like to show how difficult your trail is, it is considerable to focus the device on the ground. However, it is better to put it higher. Your audience would surely want to see the view in front of you, making the sense out of the point of view idea.
6) Customize Protection When Needed – At times, the casing that comes with the camera may not be enough. This explains why you can customize the device’s protection when necessary. It is applicable if you visit areas with falling branches, too much wind, and debris.
7) Try Mounting Under the Visor – This strategy will keep your camera well protected. It will not obstruct your view, especially if the camera is very small. This is a must-try fixation when you are in deep woods.
For great point of view recording, there is nothing more recommendable than Contour ROAM2 Motorcycle Helmet Camera. The motorcycle helmet-mounted has high-resolution output, ultra-wide angle mode, and waterproof construction. Moreover, it even keeps videos on standard microSDHC, similar to GoPro.
Otherwise, you may consider other products if you prefer to. Simply ensure that the helmet camera is not only functional. It must also have resistance against external abuse, such as against mud, snow, rain, and extreme sunlight.
Make your rides more memorable and fulfilling by capturing every second of it using the best helmet camera. Use it to view your masterpiece and share it with your friends.
Check out other Motorcycle Gears too!
- Motorcycle Battery
- Motorcycle Backpack
- Motorcycle GPS
- Motorcycle Pants
- Motorcycle Exhaust
- Motorcycle Gloves
- Motorcycle Helmet Bluetooth
- Motorcycle Helmet Camera
Last update on 2020-09-22 at 19:07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. More info.