The best paint brush is what you need for your woodwork to have an excellent finish. A good paint brush will allow you to produce the best woodwork there is for your tabletop, cabinet, furniture or house.
There are as many types and brands of paintbrushes as there are woodworks. Some have natural filaments while some have synthetic filaments.
A brush is merely a tool for applying finish on a working surface, but there are many different brands of paint brushes with many different features. It is important that you gain more knowledge and information regarding the most popular paint brushes before you can buy one.
Best Paint Brushes Review
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Paint Brushes Review
- 2 Best Paint Brushes Buying Guide
- 3 Conclusion
The Presa Premium Paint Brush is called premium because it was thoughtfully constructed with the finest SRT filaments. This gives the paint brush an additional holding capacity of 30%.
The Presa Premium Paint Brush has premium filaments that add more precision and finesse to almost every type of working surface. Its filaments of premium quality are evident in the smooth, high-quality finish that it does on your woodwork.
This particular paint brush can withstand extremely rough surfaces. Thus, it is versatile and can even be used for heavy duty jobs.
The Presa Premium Paint Brush has durable filaments that are particularly easy to clean. These filaments allow you to reuse the Presa Paint Brush several times. In short, it is designed to multiply your productivity.
This premium paintbrush is designed for use with heavy-bodied paints as well as those with low VOC. Low-VOC paint is friendly to the environment and is the opposite of thick paints regarding harmful VOC or virtuous fumes. This feature defines the endurance of Presa Paint Brush filaments.
Also, it is easy to clean. It also absorbs little moisture that is why it lasts long.
Presa Premium Paint Brush handles do not only have a comfortable grip for easy flexibility and fluid motion. The handles are also coated with a smooth, premium finish.
This particular paint brush can also be used with both latex and polycrylic paints. Their soft and flexible bristles are intact and never fall into the finish.
- PREMIUM: Increase your productivity with thoughtfully...
- MORE PAINT: Blending the finest SRT filaments gives brushes...
- SMOOTH: The premium filaments provide a smooth, even...
The Wooster Brush is a nylon and polyester paint brush. It has good quality chisel trim and brass plated steel ferrule. It can work with all oil-based and latex paints.
This Softip Angle Sash Paint Brush is manufactured in the United States. Its soft bristle tips are the reason behind the smoothness and evenness of the finish.
The brass-plated steel ferrule, as well as the solid plastic handle that has an angle sash style, defines the high level of performance of the Wooster paint brush. It also has a white nylon and gold polyester combination with a chisel trim and which makes the paint brush resist wear.
The Wooster paint brush has a short handle, thus making it easier to handle. These paint brushes have been manufactured using the latest manufacturing tools in Ohio, USA. You can always take pride and feel safe that your painting tools are labeled Wooster.
Wooster Brush Company has been operating since 1851 and has been a leader in high-quality painting tools. Through the years, it has assumed several trade names that include Advantage, Super Doo-Z Roller covers, and Yachtsman. It is also the company behind Prep Crew surface prep tools.
The Wooster Paint Brush is an angled brush. This brush is excellent in reaching spots that are small and are difficult to reach. The Wooster Paint Brush is suitable for two-bedroom doors with a trim meeting in the corner.
Because of the flexibility of this paint brush, it can fit in tight spots without any damage to the trim paint. It has a durable steel ferrule that is brass-plated.
The Wooster Paint Brush has a Kaiser handle built from solid plastic that is colored pearl-yellow. Its 4-inch size comes with a beavertail handle.
- Soft brush tips provide a smooth and even finish with all...
- White nylon and gold polyester with chisel trim
- Brass-plated steel ferrule
The Bates Choice Paint Brush boasts of its professional quality. This paint brush is intended to last for a long time. It is easy to clean, and it has superior ability to produce a quick, excellent finish.
The Bates Choice Paint Brush is also convenient to hold with its lightweight wooden handle. It is comfortable and easy to handle even for long and tedious woodworking tasks.
This particular type of paint brush also has thick synthetic filaments that are specially designed for holding more paint than usual. This brush saves you time and gives you a high-quality finish. The filaments are durable, and so the paint brush lasts longer than the others.
The Bates Choice Paint Brush is perfect both for beginners as well as professionals because of its flexibility.
The stainless steel ferrule holds the bristles together in the wooden handle. The thick bristles are also perfect for ensuring a smooth, high-quality finish for your woodwork.
Bates Choice has several of the best paint brushes that every woodworker is proud to use. The versatility of the Bates Choice paint brush makes it perfect for applying a smooth finish to both hard to reach corners and large surfaces.
Bates Choice is a paint brush company that promises to enhance its products consistently. They believe that greatness is a process. Bates Choice has already committed itself to continue improving their products and to continue giving every customer the best.
- PROFESSIONAL QUALITY: 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed, Trim...
- FIT FOR COMFORT: Wooden handle brushes are lightweight and...
- THICK FILAMENTS: These synthetic filaments are designed hold...
The Capri Tools Paint Brush takes pride in its strong polyester bristles that have feathered ends. These features make a larger capacity for holding paint.
The Capri Tools Paint Brush also has a sturdy wooden handle making it flexible enough to allow smooth and even paint, stain and varnish application on woodwork. This particular type of paint brush also has multiple uses for home and work as well as art projects and crafts.
This paint brush also has the most popular choices for widths. The versatility shows in the various width choices such as 1-inch, one and 1/2-inch, 2-inch, 2 and 1/2-inch and 3-inch paint brushes. In fact, one set of Capri Tools paint brushes have all these five paint brushes.
The softness of the bristles makes this particular type of paint brush easy to clean. In fact, they can be preserved for multiple usages if you just try to wrap then using kitchen plastic covers. After which you, put them in the fridge before using them again a few hours later.
The Capri Tools Paint Brush also work on various types of surfaces from a brand new table top to a rough old wooden boat. The bristles are thin, and they hold together to prevent them from contaminating the finish.
The only problem with these paint brushes is that the bristles tend to be a little stiff making difficult to paint as well as coat. However, this could be remedied by handling the paint brush correctly and skillfully.
- Great value in quality paint brushes for work, home, arts...
- Includes brushes in most-popular widths for versatility, one...
- Polyester bristles with feathered ends have extra...
The Purdy Paint Brush is considered the most versatile of all brush series as it can be used with all types of paints, stains, and varnishes. Its copper ferrule along with Tynex and Orel filaments that are both solid round and tapered help make the paint brush work on any surface.
The Purdy Paint Brush is very useful for both interior and exterior projects. It can also be used in any environment. Moreover, the brush style is angular and is, therefore, perfect for trim work for walls and ceilings.
It has a flat handle with a precise for being able to work well on walls and larger areas. It also has shorter and more ergonomic handle for reaching tight corners.
The Purdy Paint Brush produces superior paint lifting capacity as well as maximum efficiency in painting. It is also durable because of the excellent blend of Orel polyester filaments as well as Satin-Edge Nylon.
The versatility of the Purdy Paint Brush applies to both indoor and outdoor painting. Whether it is a hot, humid or cold day, this paint brush retains its stiffness.
The Purdy Paint Brush cleans well. Moreover, as long as you wash and clean this paint brush, you can expect to use it for life.
Another bonus is that there is a unique shape for each type of wooden handle. It also has all its bristles intact all the time. Thus, your woodwork is free from its fallen bristles.
- -3 piece value pack, includes 1 inch XL Dale, 1-1/2 inch XL...
- -Purdy's XL is the most versatile brush series,
- -Designed for use with all paints and stains.
Best Paint Brushes Buying Guide
There are things that you have to bear in mind before you buy your paint brushes, especially when buying for the first time. There are as many types, and brands of a paint brush as there are woodworks. Some have natural filaments while some have synthetic filaments.
Paint brushes may also be intended for various forms of fittings, like big ones for large working surfaces and small ones for edges and tight corners. You need to have accurate information about different brands before you can make an informed decision.
1) Your Level of Experience – If it is your first time to use a paint brush, go for a two-inch brush. Even though this is small in size, it is still significant enough to finish painting most surfaces including tabletops. Look for a brush with filaments around 12 inches longer than its width and is also flexible enough for you.
2) Shape – Get an angled sash brush. This brush is particularly designed to paint various widths as well as tight spots and corners. It is also suitable for beginners.
Once you have got used to brushing, purchase a good paint brush that is round or oval shaped. They have an extra capacity that will make you reload the brush fewer times.
3) Package – Go for a single brush if you are the only one who will use it. Avoid a starter pack of brushes if there are not many people to use it or if you will use only one size most of the time. Spend your money buying a high-quality brush from a good company.
4) The popularity of the Manufacturer – The best paint brushes come only from the best companies. Buy from reputable companies like Bates Choice, Purdy, Presa, Capri or Wooster. They have more durable and more flexible paint brushes.
5) Bundle Type – Go for brushes that have a shaped package. This mold leaves the flagging intact. Brushes with a pointed end usually have a better performance. However, if you directly trim the ends, you will get rid of flagging from the edges.
6) Types of Brush – Go for a natural filament brush. They are better than synthetic filaments concerning producing a solvent-based finish. It is a fact that most woodworkers call these filaments bristles. The most common natural filament that you can find in paint brushes is hairs from China, and the other is European ox hair.
7) Ferrules – Go for stainless steel ferrules for these will not rust. It will also not contaminate a water-based finish. The ferrule contains a filler piece that has two uses. First, it keeps the bristles secured to the handle, and creates a reservoir to hold the accumulated finish.
8) Handles – Choose a shorter 4-inch handle if dealing with tight areas such as the insides of small cabinets. The best paint brush for edging is one with shorter handles and whose bristles are cut square all over the brush’s bottom.
If you are painting a house, good paint brushes are those that have long, thick handles. Handles are made of composite plastic or wood. Nonetheless, always check length as well as balance and comfort of use.
9) Size – Go for 2″ or 3″ wide brush if you are trying to finish large surfaces such as the top of a table. However, with smaller frames, panels, and edgework as well as legs, it is better to use one that is 1 1/2″ to 2″ in length.
Tips to Using Your Paint Brushes Effectively
Owning a paint brush is essential for your woodwork and your efficiency in your job. However, there are some things that you should know if you want to be able to use a paint brush more effectively. Here are a few reminders for you when using paint brushes.
- Always buy the best paint brushes – Do not sacrifice quality for the price. If you prioritize the cost of the paint brush, you will surely expect cheap outcomes.
- Buy latex paint to maximize the efficiency of the paint brush – However, since latex paint dries up quickly, use an additive that makes the drying time slow and helps the paint flow better and flatten.
- Do not dip the paint brush directly into the can – For your working color, use a 4- or 5-quart pail and pour about a quart of paint into this. Add the additive to this and mix it well. If you use this container, you avoid splattering whenever you dip and tap your paint brush.
- Make sure to shake the can of paint so that it is well mixed to minimize thinning with water – Moreover, stir the paint from time to time as you are using it. This method will help maintain the quality of your paint brush.
- If you are planning to use latex paint, use a paint brush that has “exploded” tips – The best paint brush can draw a decent amount of color into its bristles. It can also ensure smooth application onto the work surface.
- Buy a high-quality brush – Only a sound paint brush can assure a smooth flow of paint onto the surface without much effort on your part.
- Do not force paint to come off a paint brush after it has become too dry – Find a way to soften the bristles like soaking it in vinegar.
- Avoid brushing work surfaces that are too rough or those that will most likely destroy the hairs – Always seek the advice of someone who knows more about paint and painting woodwork before you start using your brush on it.
- Before painting, dip the brush into a solvent that is compatible with the bristles – The manufacturer usually recommends this. This technique will make the brush wet and easy to clean afterward.
- Use separate paint brushes for oil and water-based finishes – Resins that are left behind will cause cross contamination of the finishes.
- Use the brush properly – When dipping the brush into paint, make sure that the finish is kept off the area at the top, the one that is covered by the metal ferrule. It will be difficult to clean the brush once the finish has reached this area and dried in it.
- Clean your brushes to preserve usability – For brushes used with oil-based finishes, clean the brush with the recommended solvent as soon as you complete the last coat.
- Remove excess paint from your brush thoroughly after use – Wrap the brush tightly in plastic or hang it in a container with solution overnight if you used the brush to apply a finish that required several coats. The following morning, just squeeze the brush to get rid of the excess solvent.
- When you keep the paint brush, never allow it to touch the bottom of the container – The bristles will deform because of the weight of the brush. To help with this tip, you may have to drill a hole in the handle and use it to hang the brush away from the bottom.
- Clean the brush first before leaving it in the solvent – Not cleaning it first will cause a reaction between the paint and the solvent, thus gumming up the brush. Before using the paint brush again, use a citrus-based cleaner and water to remove the excess solvent.
- Before keeping the brush, shake out all the excess moisture from it by swinging it several times – Use newspaper or kraft paper to wrap the bristles and use an elastic band to hold it in place to allow the bristles dry up and help maintain their good shape.
Buying Paint Brushes Online
When you are buying paint brushes online, always make sure that you are buying from a reputable and trustworthy company. This factor is why you should always do research on which are the best paint brush brands. It also pays well to ask people who have a lot of experience with paint brushes and woodworking.
Always check whether it is the paint brush that you want to use for your woodwork. Otherwise, it might be difficult to return products that you would not like to use.
Prioritize quality over a discounted brand or set of paint brushes. The cut in price might mean a significant reduction in quality.
The best choice for paint brush is the Purdy Paint Brush. It is one that can work on all surfaces and in any environment.
The Purdy Paint Brush can also collaborate with all types of paint as well as both exterior and interior woodworking projects. Moreover, you can also use it to coat large surfaces as well as tight corners that are seemingly unreachable.
The Purdy Paint Brush also has a flat handle that can work in any setting, whether it should be applying a smooth finish to a table top or a corner of a small cabinet.
These qualities are similar to other types of paint brushes, but the Purdy Paint Brush includes almost all the right qualities at the same time.
Last update on 2021-04-09 at 14:40 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. More info.