The process of scraping off old paint may be a challenging and tedious task. Nonetheless, it is the first step to take in the restoration of old houses. There is no other way to do this but to use the best paint scraper there is.
The best scraping tools in the market today include single edge and double edge scrapers, as well as manual and electric types. They can also either be made from metal or hard plastic. Whatever the type of paint scraper you choose, a good one will do the job faster and easier than a putty knife would.
The goal of every paint scraper is to remove the loose and peeling paint from the walls and other surfaces efficiently and more. An investment in a paint scraping tool is worth your while; thus, you need to get familiar with the most popular choices of paint scrapers in the market today.
Best Paint Scrapers Review
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Paint Scrapers Review
- 2 The Best Paint Scrapers Buying Guide
- 3 Conclusion
The Red Devil Painter’s 6-in-1 Tool is an instrument with six types of uses. It can be used as a scraper, gouger, putty remover, spreader, nail setter and paint roller cleaner. Its versatility makes refinishing and repair jobs quick and effortless.
This special paint scraper boasts of a solvent-resistant durable plastic handle. Thus, the handle can resist rusting and melting in case the handle gets in contact with acidic or corrosive solvents.
The steel blade is equally resistant to rust. This makes the Red Devil Tool more dependable when it comes to long-term use. Its rust-resistant features define its durability.
The solid steel nail setting head can be used for setting all types of nails. It can also be utilized for a variety of hammering jobs. Moreover, you can use any time of mallet or hammer on the nail setting head without destroying the integrity of its solid steel structure.
The Red Devil Painter’s Tool also boasts of its maximum safety and dependability. The danger-proof structure prevents your hands from being exposed to the blade. It also has a 45-degree angle for removing paint while keeping your hand safe.
This state-of-the-art paint scraping tool also takes pride in its compact size and it fits in your pocket easily. Because of this, you can carry it around wherever you go and wherever you need it.
This paint scraper is a product of Red Devil Inc., a leader in manufacturing facilities, hand tools and home maintenance products. This paint scraper comes in handy when removing the caulk and ensuring a perfect finish after getting rid of the old paint.
- 6 TOOLS IN 1: Gouger, scraper, putty remover, spreader,...
- SOLVENT RESISTANT HANDLE: Black nylon handle will provide...
- HIGH CARBON, PRECISION GROUND STEEL BLADE: Lacquered to...
The Bahco Premium Ergonomic Carbide Scraper has a two-component handle that is designed to give you a better grip while using it. It also allows comfort and convenience as you are holding it. Its heavy-duty scraper head helps to remove material with the help of extra strength. This allows you to remove as much paint as you can in the shortest time possible.
The Bahco Carbine Scraper is equipped with a 2 1/2″ carbide blade. This stays sharp for a long time, thus removing as much paint as possible in its entire life span. The carbide component of the scraper is 50 times brighter than those of other scrapers.
This special paint scraper has a large plastic knob. This allows a two-handed operation in case of heavy duty woods. This makes it useful for scraping hard paint as well as several square meters of surface area.
The Bahco Carbide Scraper has extreme versatility. It can be used to remove not only paint but also varnish, glue, brush, chalk, gaskets, mortar and grout. It is designed for the removal of vast areas of material with the use of heavy-duty strength.
The blade is also replaceable with even 2-inch blades. This gives the paint scraper and added flexibility. Moreover, it comes with a holster so that you can conveniently carry it on your belt.
This Carbide Scraper is also useful for special purposes such as removing rotten wood, loose knots, and bark that have occupied any surface or object. What is most interesting about this tool is that it does not need any frequent re-sharpening even after many uses.
- Maximum comfort with minimum effort due to the ergonomic...
- Comfortable 2 component handle giving an excellent grip
- Carbide blades for easy removal paint, glue, varnish and...
The Wagner Paint Eater is equipped with a high-power 3.2-amp motor that accounts for its dominant performance. The motor helps make the Wagner Paint Eater accomplish several heavy-duty woodworking tasks especially those involving full hardwood pieces.
The 2,000 RPM feature of the engine combined with user control allows complete removal of paint and debris that cannot be removed by a small knife or traditional paint scraper. The high-performance disc removes paint quickly while preserving the original smoothness of the hardwood.
This particular paint scraper removes paint chips as well as smoothes paint edges. It is gentle on any surface despite its speed and efficiency in removing paint.
The Wagner Paint Eater has multiple ergonomic hand-holds. This minimizes fatigue on the hands. This also provides much safety when you are working on a ladder.
This paint scraper also has an ergonomic handle for use with one or both hands. This is extremely useful for ladder work.
This powerful rotary paint remover also has a replaceable disc. This allows you to use it for a long time even after the original disc has worn off.
The Wagner Paint Eater also boasts of its compactness, weighing only less than 4 pounds, it is something that you can carry around conveniently. The lightweight structure also ensures the safety of your woodworking project.
It is an efficient one-step paint remover and is aggressive when it comes to scraping paint off, but it remains gentle to the sidings and trims. This allows you to preserve the original smoothness of the surface.
With the Wagner Paint Eater, you can prepare a smooth surface for every repainting job. You can use this tool on any surface such as wood, steel, concrete or masonite.
- A Velcro strap for a secure hand position & ladder work
- Arbor lock for tool-less disk replacement
- Innovative, contour conforming FLEX-DISC System
The Hyde Tool Stiff Scraper is equipped with a 2-inch scraper blade that is made from carbon steel. Thus, it is designed and hardened for long-term use. This defines the durability of this Hyde Tool equipment. The blades are also straight-ground which ensures flexibility of use with a wide or narrow surface.
Its patent-pending design gives the Hyde Tool Stiff Scraper a Hammer Head. This is ideal for popped screws and nails that need to be reset. Its handle has an over mold that is differentiated and designed for either spreading or scraping. This tool also has brass blade options that add to the flexibility of the equipment.
The Hyde Tool Stiff Scraper works well on almost any surface including the thin surface of guitars. This scraper is also used for removing the solid rust in cooking tools and utensils as well as grills. This 2-inch scraper is small enough to fit right in between the sides of the cooking items that cannot be cleaned with larger scraping tools.
The durability of the blade of this stiff paint scraper makes it last longer than many brands, and it remains sharp after many uses. The small size of the blade also allows greater control when working compared to larger blades and especially when working on bigger surfaces.
The Hyde Tool Stiff Scraper allows for heavy duty work especially when working with hardwood surfaces. However, although the blade is tough on the paint, it remains gentle on the edges and the overall surface.
- 2-Inch stiff pro project scraper
- Patent-pending design
- Straight-ground blades for flexibility and carbon steel...
The Hyde Tools Contour Scraper is equipped with six different blades. This tool is useful when it comes to working on wood railings, moldings, furniture, and homes.
The stainless-steel blades of this special paint scraper eliminates the problem of rusting, adding to the durability of the tool. Moreover, when it is not rusty at all, then it reduces the risk of dropping rust on the surface that you are scraping.
This scraper is perfect for turnings, moldings as well as heavy duty furniture work. This tool gives any of your woodworking projects the smoothest and barest finish it can have without sacrificing the smoothness of the surface.
The Hyde Tools Contour Scraper takes pride in the smooth and elegant finish that it brings to any wooden surface as well as to virtually any type of surface. It can remove not only paint but also rust, putty caulk, and varnish.
The Hyde Tools Contour Scraper is also versatile enough to assume multiple functions. It can be used not only to scrape but also to tape, patch and coat surfaces. It can also be used for private and professional purposes from designing the home to smoothening the walls of buildings.
This special paint scraper has a thick handle that makes it very easy and convenient to control and operate. This makes the elegant finishes possible. This is unlike larger paint scrapers whose blades you cannot control and so the smoothness of the surface cannot be guaranteed.
The compact size of the Hyde Tools Contour Scraper also makes it easy for you to hold it for long periods. It also allows added portability.
- The product is Contour Paint Scraper Kit With 6 Blades.
- Elegant and smooth finish
- The product is manufactured in China
The Best Paint Scrapers Buying Guide
A paint scraper is an essential tool to keep for a variety of woodworking or home improvement projects. They come in handy when you need to clean different types of surfaces or remove old paint from common materials.
There are a lot of choices when it comes to the best paint scraper, but you need to choose wisely before you spend your hard-earned money.
Things to Keep in Mind
There are some things that you have to remember if you want to buy the best paint scraper.
- Type of Edge – Go for double edge paint scrapers if you are a beginner. Double edge scrapers allow push and pull motions across the surface. On the other hand, single side scrapers need pulling in one direction only.
- The size of the blade – The smaller the blade, the better its for tight areas that are difficult to reach. Choose a blade size that is appropriate to the kind of surface that you are working on. One inch blades are best for edges and tight areas.
- Specialty types of paint scrapers – If you are working on wood with a sophisticated profile such as furniture or crown molding, go for specialty paint scrapers. They have blades in the shape of a teardrop or a triangle. Some even have all sorts of curved edges.
- The level of comfort – Choose a paint scraper that is comfortable for you to use. Unfortunately, you can only determine this after you have used it for scraping for a few hours. Thus, it is best to choose ones which are smaller in size if you are a beginner.
- The volume of work – Choose smaller and more compact scrapers for minimal scraping work. Heavy duty work usually requires larger paint scrapers with heavy-duty functions.
Things to Consider
Just like any equipment, there are things that you need to bear in mind before buying paint scrapers. Here are some of them.
- Handle – Go for ergonomic handles where you can use either one or both hands. This allows greater flexibility of work just in case one of your hands gets tired or depending on the type of surface that you are working on.
- Size – Compact scrapers are used for minimal woodworking. Heavy duty scraping needs relatively larger scrapers.
- Blade material – Go for stainless steel blades because they do not have rust. If not, then you can go for carbon steel because they are unusually hard and can last for a long time.
- Type of surface – Go for smaller and more compact scrapers if you are working on the thin wood of minimum sizes. However, if you need it for heavy-duty work on a variety of surfaces, go for great scrapers.
How to Make Your Paint Scraper Last Longer
Even the best paint scrapers may fall apart if you are not giving it proper care and maintenance. Thus, you need to know how to keep and manage your paint scraper so that it will last as long as you need it.
- Handle paint scrapers with care and in the proper way when you are doing your woodworking. Wrong handling will push it with the unnecessary force that may eventually break it down.
- Do not use a special paint scraper on surfaces that are not intended for its use. Those that can be utilized only for wooden surfaces should not be used to scrape concrete. This will destroy the blade fast.
- Do not force smaller blades to do heavy duty work. If the blades break, it might cause unnecessary injury. Moreover, it will destroy the paint scraper itself.
Do it Yourself Tips
- Scraping needs both your scraper and a drop cloth to catch the falling bits of old paint.
- Use safety goggles when doing paint scraping jobs. Otherwise, the bits of color may get to your eyes and cause irritation.
- Divide the area to be scraped. This allows proper organization of work as well as greater attention and focuses on a single area one at a time.
- Make sure before scraping that the area to be scraped is free from some irregular components. Be careful of indented and raised spots.
- Scrape interiors first before sanding them. On the other hand, exteriors can be scraped and sanded at the same time.
- Avoid short-sleeved shirt and shorts when doing paint scraping so that your skin will not get contaminated by bits of color. Always have as much body covering as you need.
- Always get familiar with the proper procedure of using a paint scraper especially those running on motor power.
Buying a Paint Scraper Online
- Always make sure that the paint scraper that you want to purchase is exactly what you need for your woodworking or home improvement project. Returning the wrong paint scraper ‘s hard if you bought one online.
- Always pay attention to the quality of the brand that you are planning to buy. Do not prioritize the discounted price. Remember that discounts are usually given to cover up a particular problem.
- Seek information from people who have used that brand of paint scraper that you are planning to buy or from those who use paint scrapers in general. They may be able to give you advice on which type of scraping tool you should buy.
The best paint scraper is the Wagner Paint Eater. First of all, unlike the other brands, it is powered by a 3.2-amp motor that gives it the capacity to do heavy duty woodworking. It has a 2,000 RPM feature that allows complete removal of paint, varnish, and other types of chemicals.
Moreover, despite the aggressiveness of the blade on the paint and other chemicals, the tool maintains the smoothness and integrity of the surface. This product has all the features of good paint scrapers.
It has a replaceable disc, and ergonomic handle that allows one or both hands during use. The compact size that it offers lets you carry it wherever you go. What is best about this product is that you can use the Wagner Paint Eater on any surface like wood, steel, masonite or concrete.
Last update on 2020-10-16 at 05:28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. More info.