Creating durable and great-looking furniture, as well as other wooden projects, require years of extensive training but with the use of the best pocket hole jig you don’t need that much experience.
With the use of pocket holes, you can drill at an angle and attach the pieces of wood together to make professional and polished looking fixtures.
With this equipment, you don’t have to wait until the glue dries and you don’t even have to use clamps to keep the pieces of furniture in place. You will be able to make strong joints using a pocket hole without the need to spend countless hours to finish the project.
|Kreg R3 Jr. Pocket Hole Jig System (Jig System)||6,598 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|General Tools 850 Heavy Duty, All-In-One Aluminum Pocket...||4,909 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|wolfcraft 4643404 Pocket Hole Woodjoining Jig Kit||108 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|PORTER-CABLE QUIKJIG Pocket Hole Jig & Joinery System (560)||156 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|Sommerfeld's Pocket Hole Jig - Cast Aluminum||10 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
Best Pocket Hole Jig Review
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Pocket Hole Jig Review
- 2 Pocket Hole Buying Guides
- 3 Best Pocket Hole Buying Guide
- 4 Conclusion
If you are looking for the best pocket hole jig system consider checking Kreg Jr, one of the top selling product by Kreg because it comes with all the things you will need. The Kreg Jr. comes with a 3-inch square driver, pocket hole plugs, screw and it even comes with a case.
The case of this pocket hole is made from high-quality material making the container is heavy-duty. With the use of this case, you can organize your Kreg R3 Jr. as well as the other accessories that come with it. In addition, you can find a depth collar that is carved into the case for easy identification.
Also included is a clamp pad adapter, a piece of the device which allows the R3 Jr. to be positioned securely in place even when you are just using a regular clamp.
A notable feature of the Kreg R3 Jr. is its dual positioning sliders that would allow you to fix your device based on how dense the material you are working with is. All you need to do is press the switch at the side then adjust the sliders until the dimension of your material is aligned with the arrow found on the device’s body.
Another thing that user’s love about R3 Jr. is its nylon body that is glass reinforced thus giving the product great resiliency and flexibility on top of its durability and strength. The particular design of the R3 Jr. allows great efficacy while at the same time reducing its size.
- The Kreg Jig Jr(R3) is an amazing repair jig and an...
- Easy to use and install
- Whether you're crawling under a table to make a quick repair...
The EZ Pro is a simple and affordable pocket hole which is ideal for beginners who does not want to spend much on the item. This is a popular choice for constructing cabinet furniture or other meticulous woodworking activities.
This pocket hole is made of tough aluminum that comes with a stepped 3/8 inch drill bit with a collar stop and a square-derive bit. The kit also includes flush-frame pieces, standard stiles, and rails as well as square screws so you can start working right away.
As an upgrade of the 840 from General tools, the EZ Pro is equally popular particularly for people who are still practicing their skills in creating wood works. You can easily mount the aluminum jig for fixed use or you can also utilize the clamping system when you need portability.
If you check out other pocket hole jigs available in the market, you’ll notice that most of them are made from a combination of plastic as well as metal design. The main purpose of the manufacturers for using the combination is to give the product light weights feel but the durability can be sacrificed.
With the EZ pocket hole, it works no matter how tough the job is since it has an all-metal construction. This combined with a heavy-duty aluminum extrusion and toughened steel brushing makes the best pocket hole jig. You’ll often find various positive pocket hole jig reviews from users who were extremely satisfied with the durability and efficiency of the EZ Pro.
- COMPLETE POCKET HOLE JIG SYSTEM - Jig kit includes: pocket...
- ACCURATE- this jig creates flush, corner and angle pocket...
- EASY TO USE- DIYers and expert craftsmen turn to this jig...
The Wolfcraft 4643404 is a complete pocket hole kit that comes with a sturdy case to help you keep your equipment organized. This is the ideal equipment if you want a sturdy pocket hole jig that you can use for years to come.
The Wolfcraft is made from glass-filled nylon which is combined into a single device to avoid any incidence of misplacing some parts.
Other than its durability, this pocket hole is also known for its portability. It is compact with a high-quality design so you can carry it with you when you need to do projects outside of your home.
The Wolfcraft 4643404 is very convenient to use since it comes with self-tapping screws that work well with any square drive. Other items included in the kit are 40 different sized bolts (1 ½ inch, 1 ¼ inch, 2 ½ inch and 1 inch), No.2 Phillip screwdriver, 10 wooden pocket hole stoppers, 3/8 inch step bit, 3/8 inch stop collar and 1/8 inch hex key.
On the casing of the Wolfcraft, you can find a guide that states the deal length of the screw as well as the corresponding width of the wood. With regards to its adjustability, the device’s depth is already fixed therefore you don’t have to do guesswork when working on a project.t
The Wolfcraft is offering a limited lifetime warranty so if you are planning to purchase a pocket hole jig anytime soon, you should check out this product so you can avail of its warranty offer.
- Pocket hole jig kit features a compact design coupled with...
- Small size allows it to fit easily into a small toolbox or...
- One-piece, glass-filled nylon, design means no loose parts
Looking at the Porter Cable 560 for the first time, you would probably think that it is a very complex system to operate but as you look closely, you will see that the system is not as complicated as it seems.
The Porter Cable 560 is a sturdy, bench-top device solution that will make your woodworking tasks more precise and efficient.
This product performs better than biscuit joiners because it offers more flexibility when you do projects such as cabinet front bordering, picture framing and edge joining.
This pocket hole can handle boards ranging from ½ inch to 1 ½ inches thick and it has an adjustable workpiece stop that allows you to easily cut and replicate the same pocket joints.
You can also detach the adjustable workpiece and fasten it on a worktable together with a typical 2×4 board which you can use as support while working on lengthy board cuts.
As for the automatic depth control system, it allows you to have more accurate results even if you are working with various materials with carrying thickness.
Another feature of this product is the combined drillbit collar format. This format does not require any changes even when working on materials with different thickness.
Adjusting the drill depth can sometimes be a struggle and a time-consuming process and this can be eliminated with the use of 560. The device can make automatic adjustments with the drill depth so as you work with various materials; the device can make the necessary modifications needed.
- Automatic depth control system allows for easy set-up for...
- Variable-spaced bushings allow a variety of positions for...
- Self-adjusting clamp adjusts automatically to material...
The Sommerfeld’s pocket hole may not be a famous brand but it can definitely compete with the leading manufacturer in the market today. The Sommerfeld is just a small company that produces top of the line products, excellent customer service, and top industry improvement.
This pocket hole goes back to the basic wherein it has simple features making it easy to use plus it is capable of doing heavy duty tasks.
If you are building a cabinet, it is recommended that you utilize the pocket hole joint when connecting the face of the frame since it gives excellent support and it’s completely hidden from view.
Anyone can use this pocket hole even if they are new and have never tried using one before. The look of the device is also not intimidating, unlike other pocket holes that seem too complex to operate.
The Sommerfeld’s pocket hole set includes 2 clamps, 2-bit guides, 2 pocket drivers, 3 hex wrenches, a drill bit, depth stops and several screws.
The sturdy toggle clamp will allow you to position and firmly hold your stock in place. The two distinct bit guides can be utilized to switch from different materials with varying thickness. The smaller guide can work with 3/4 inch materials while the bigger one can handle 1 ½ inches.
These bit guides are made from toughened steel bushings and have a lifetime warranty against wears and tears. Each of these guides contains magnets so you can easily connect it to the clamp when needed.
Pocket Hole Buying Guides
Purchasing the best pocket hole jig is not as hard as you think especially if you have a guide to follow. When you carefully examine your options there is no need to spend a lot for this device because even affordable ones can provide you with everything you need.
Factors to Consider
1) Features – Although most pocket holes seem like they have the same features, there are actually some who have unique characteristics especially when you closely examine them.
For instance, there are devices that are particularly designed to work well in tight spaces while there are those who can automatically adjust to the thickness of your materials.
You need to identify what features you will likely use often then look for a pocket hole that specializes in the feature you need.
2) Construction Durability – The durability of the pocket hole, clamps, and other accessories should be considered. You can assess the products durability examining the materials used. The product should be made from high-quality materials so that it can withstand constant and strenuous usage.
Take note that there are some pocket hole jigs which are entirely made from aluminum while there are those made from plastic or a combination of both. Equipment made entirely from aluminum are extremely durable but it can be heavier than the typical pocket hole.
Those which are made from plastic or a combination of aluminum and plastic are much lighter but not as durable and long lasting.
A durable device will ensure that you get accurate results with very minimal or no errors at all.
3) Flexibility and Adjustability – The best pocket hole jig system is one which can cater from small to large projects and different kinds of area.
Devices that handles small to medium tasks are not as durable compared to those that cater to larger and tougher materials since the latter is designed to withstand rough handling.
The best pocket hole jig must be capable of making adjustments with very minimal tools and controls needed. An adjustable and flexible pocket hole will enable you to finish your project faster since you don’t need to switch from one tool to another and less time is spent in making necessary adjustments.
4) Ease of Use – The ease of use is a very important thing to consider especially for individuals who still don’t have much experience with woodworking activities. The device should help make a craftsman life so much easier by allowing him to skip on the taxing part of the job.
A good pocket hole must be easy to use and assemble that even those which are using it for the first time can operate with minimal effort.
In addition, the pocket hole should be durable enough so you won’t have to spend too much time on its repair and maintenance. It should also have a sturdy case where you can put all accessories in place so you can effortlessly locate them when you need them.
5) Clamping Capacity – The onboard clamping offered by the pocket hole jig system has a particular thickness that it can accommodate. There will be a minimum and maximum thicknesses required so check and select the one that suits you.
There are also some devices that don’t have clamping capacity and this is ideal for those who are using varied materials with different thickness.
6) Kind of Joint Needed – Before you pick a jointing jig, you need to think about the kind of joint you want to make and how strong do you want it to be.
The loose tenon system creates a very sturdy joint perfect for chairs and other furniture. Pocket holes also produce strong joints and are ideal for attaching two pieces which are angled.
Dowel joint, on the other hand, is typically utilized when attaching board’s edges. This system requires the use of glue
Best Pocket Hole Buying Guide
Types of Joint Making Jigs
1) Beadlock Jigs – The beadlock jigs are the one you should use when you want to make loose tenon joints. When creating a standard mortice and tenon joint, you need to be very precise will all your measurement to ensure that the pieces would fit perfectly. This process can take a long time especially when errors occur.
With the help of this system, you can come up with a joint that is as durable as the mortice and tenon without the stress.
The beadlock jigs come with a toughened steel drill guides and it features a grooved mortice that receives the corresponding tenon.
2) Dowel Jigs – With the dowel jigs, you can produce similar dowel holes as you create dowel joints. This equipment comes with various drill guides of different sizes. The Larger material would need a larger dowel.
Some of these products are able to drill the two sides of the joint at the same time. This will guarantee that the holes are perfectly matched.
3) Pocket Hole Jigs – This type of device only necessitates one side of the joint to be drilled. This means that there is no need to ensure that both sides of the joint are flawlessly aligned. The pocket hole is drilled, creating an angled hole wherein a screw is inserted to secure the pieces.
Pocket hole drills often come with two angled drill guides and an internal clamping that enables you to secure the wood in place as you are drilling.
- Clean the device as often as possible, preferably after each use.
- Use a clean cloth to gently wipe off any debris lodged in crevices. You can use soft bristled brush to remove debris stuck in small gaps within the pocket hole.
- Regularly check the drill guides and note if there are any signs of wear. The accuracy of the device is most likely compromised when the drill guides are inaccurate.
- Store the device and other accessories you have not used inside the case.
Finishing your woodworking project is a lot easier with the help of the best pocket hole jig system. These jigs ensure that you finish your home and office projects without any struggles. This device would really make a huge difference in your products because you will surely have professional looking finished products at a relatively shorter period of time.
You should also ensure that you carefully assess your needs and then you can use this information as a basis when you purchase the pocket hole. Just like any other product, there are numerous brands and models of pocket hole jigs in the market. This can be confusing for some but with enough knowledge about the device, the choosing process for the best pocket hole jig is made much easier.
Last update on 2021-04-16 at 04:07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. More info.