Recreational activities sometimes include having to drive a vehicle around with the best RV battery. If you like activities like camping, you might have to drive your motor home to help you get around faster. Just like your car, recreational vehicles operate with batteries to start. The batteries used in regular are very different from batteries used in recreational vehicles. Recreational vehicles have bigger engines and they require different amounts of power to start. In fact, people who live in colder areas tend to notice that they usually need to perform a jump start on their engine when the temperature falls. Although RV batteries may look like regular car batteries , they are very different from each other. RV batteries can be made with a higher Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) rating. The higher CCA rating helps you start your engine easier.
There are many types and brands of RV batteries available in the market for you to choose from. However, it’s not very easy to find the best RV battery to suit all your needs. If you think that you can just walk into an RV shop and buy an RV battery within minutes, you just might be in for a surprise. The number of choices might actually confuse you and you would end up going home to research more about the specifications. In this article, you will find the top RV batteries available for you today and tips on how you can choose them wisely.
Top Five Best RV Battery Buying Reviews
Table of Contents
- 1 Top Five Best RV Battery Buying Reviews
- 2 The Best Recreational Vehicle Battery Buying Guide
- 3 How to Maintain Your Deep Cycle Battery
- 4 Conclusion
The UPG 85980/D5722 Sealed Lead Acid Battery is a battery specifically made for electrical motors. It is also the best RV battery for the best RV motors used today. This battery can also be used for different types of products and appliance including a scooter, wheelchair and an alarm system. Using its AGM technology, you can also make sure that you are extracting the best kind of performance from the battery. This also enables you to regulate the battery for each valve.
This Sealed Lead Acid Battery was well designed and is completely spill proof. Because of its smart design, you can place the batteries in all kinds of positions that you want. It is also made to be a battery that is multi-purpose and works with other scooters and appliances that needs some power. This type of battery is especially popular for trolling motors used for security purposes and for vehicles with electrical motors (e.g. golf carts), garden tools and power tools (e.g. lawnmowers).
This battery weighs 22.9 pounds with a dimension of 8.1 x 8.1 x 5.9 inches. It runs on 12 volts and has an average battery life of 2.5 hours. Aside from powering motors, this battery can also be used as a backup for UPS devices, Solar Emergency Lighting, Garage Door Batteries and Portable Medical Equipment. This product also offers a one year warranty so you can be sure to get your money’s worth.
Announced as their best RV battery by the manufacturers, this product is sure to give you all your battery needs. The Trojan Battery Company is the world’s leading manufacturer when it comes to its technology with deep cycle batteries, so you can be sure to trust this product. The Trojan T105-RE Renewable Energy 6V GC2 Deep Cycle Battery is sure to be long lasting and reliable with continuous power that gives you your money’s worth. This is a long lasting battery that can be used for solar electricity or as an alternative for your solar system. For recreational vehicles, this product is great for powering golf carts.
The 6x Trojan T105-RE Renewable Energy 6V GC2 Deep Cycle Battery 225Ah is built to have the longest battery life. It also has the lowest cost for every amp hour compared to any other deep cycle batteries. For optimal use, this battery requires regular maintenance by watering and keeping the terminals clean. Wet batteries that contain deep cycle cells tend to degrade less because of cycling and regular discharge. This kind of battery is best used for electric systems, vehicles with electric motors (e.g. forklift) and as backup of uninterruptible systems. This model is on the heavy side weighing 67 pounds and operates on 6v and has a dimension of 10.3 x 7.1 x 10.8 inches.
This company manufactures the best RV battery that is expected to do well in tremendous latitudes. You can expect these batteries to perform even during the highest and the lowest of temperatures. The rugged construction makes this battery stronger than other batteries available today. Another great features is that it does not get damaged by subzero temperatures. Because of this, you really could do without worrying about the ruthless weather when it comes to keeping your batteries alive.
This battery weighs 69 pounds with a diameter of 12.9 x 6.8 x 9.3 inches. The Lifeline Marine AGM Battery – GPL-31T is sure to never leak even if you put it in an inverted position. It has a non-hazardous vibration and shock resistant feature to for impacts and rough terrains. It is environmentally friendly with a lower self-discharging rate. During maintenance, this battery ensures no gassing and it never needs any additional water because of the even distribution of its electrolytes. It also meets all the OSHA/EPA requirements.
If you do enough research, you will see a lot of success stories involving this product. This design has an excellent Deep Cycling performance rating. The battery is maintenance free which saves you a lot of time. The technology that comes with this Lifeline Battery was built after the Concorde’s leading manufacturer of aerospace batteries. This is the best battery for extreme use that you will ever find today and you are sure to find all your needs for a deep cycle battery.
This Sealed Lead Acid Battery can easily be the best RV battery in the market today. It is a modern type of battery that was designed and manufactured in Asia. This battery features great functionality because it is sealed (no leak) and requires no additional water for its lifetime. This AGM battery is a deep cycle battery that can be installed in any kind of position that you’d like. It can also be transported through ground or air without worrying about damages.
You can be sure to charge the Universal Power Group 45977 Sealed Lead Acid Battery without having any toxic fumes escaping from the battery container. This is because all the gases are contained inside the battery for safety. You can be sure to never have a battery leak and it also doesn’t need any special equipment for charging wet batteries. This battery has a weight of 32 pounds and a dimension of 7.7 x 6.5 x 7.2 inches. It is usually used in safety, emergency lights, UPS systems, electric fences and transportable medical devices The Universal Power Group 45977 Sealed Lead Acid Battery can also last for 50 hours with continuous use. As a bonus, it comes with a one year warranty so you don’t have to worry about factory defects.
Manufactured with the use of superior technology and the current design and techniques, this can be the best RV battery of all time. The Trojan battery Company is well known to be the pioneer of the Deep Cycle technology on batteries since 1925. The Trojan J250G 6V 235Ah Flooded Lead Acid Deep Cycle Battery Is a sealed AGM battery that can be positioned in any way that you want without worrying about leaks. This product is very safe and requires no particular usage necessities according to the ICAO, DOT and IATA.
The Trojan J250G 6V 235Ah Flooded Lead Acid Deep Cycle Battery weighs 68 pounds with a dimension of 0.5 x 0.3 x 0.5 inches. It features a dual function design that can be used for deep cycle check as well as a great performance score. It was also tested to have a monthly self-release that is lower than two percent. This means that this battery will last for a long time over maximum usage and does not require a lot of recharging. It was made to be free from maintenance and is a battery with good performance. The popular use for this battery includes Marine, Solar, RV, Communication, Sump Pumps, Lifts and many more. The batteries manufactured by Trojan do not require any special batter chargers.
The Best Recreational Vehicle Battery Buying Guide
What are the two types of RV Batteries?
- Regular Batteries. Regular batteries mostly come with RV’s and trailers which you can then upgrade to deep cycle batteries in the long run. These batteries are just like the ones that come with your personal vehicles which look like the default type of battery for motor vehicles.
- Deep Cycle Batteries. In the long run, you might want to upgrade your regular batteries to a deep cycle type. A deep cycle battery gives you more battery life and power when you are on a long trip. If you are planning to go on multiple trips with your RV, a deep cycle battery will be a good investment for you.
Tip: If you are storing your RV through the winter season, you may want to remove the battery and store it in a safe place to make sure that its lifecycle is maintained. Doing so won’t spoil your battery and prevent corrosion that damages batteries permanently.
How Do I Get the Most Out of My Battery’s Life Cycle?
An RV battery cycle is when you start using the battery at 100 percent charge, drained to 50 percent or less and then charged back up to full. If you do this every time you use your battery you will condition the best RV battery for maximum output. Remember that just like car batteries, RV batteries also need to be conditioned and used to keep on working. It’s never good to use your RV battery down to zero percent and then jump start it to get it going again. This is bad for your battery and can shorten the life cycle.
To protect your battery, you might want to switch between a regular and a deep cycle battery or use two batteries of the same type. This way, you won’t have to keep on charging one battery while you are on the move. This protects the battery from overuse and keeps it safe from damage. If you do this, you will also have a backup battery for when you are away from the main power source.
Why You Need to a Deep Cycle Battery
- RV’s need a specific type of power to operate all the appliances stored inside it.
- Deep Cycle Batteries are built with Lead Acid Made to store power for a longer time.
- The plates of a Deep Cycle battery store a specific amount of electricity. The more plates you have on your battery, the more power you get.
- Deep Cycle batteries have the ability to charge and self-discharge its power. This makes it okay for this type of battery to be drained and charged multiple times before you need to replace them.
- Even if you drain and charge it multiple times, it will only fall below its threshold mark of 80/100 percent.
- Compared to a regular starter battery that needs a quick jolt of power, the deep cycle batteries store power slowly overtime through long and deep cycles.
What Type of Deep Cycle RV Battery Do I Need?
- Flooded Lead Acid. This type of battery is often referred to as marine batteries. It usually holds more power than standard deep cycle batteries and is often used for powering heavier machines. As the name suggests, this type of battery are specifically made to be used for marine operations.
- Regulated Lead Acid Battery. This is a regular deep cycle battery that holds enough power to operate large machines. They are long lasting and can hold more power than regular starter batteries that come with RV’s. The Lead Acid Battery was specifically made for RV’s and trailer vehicles making it perform at its best when installed in these kinds of vehicles.
Note: Depending on your battery usage, the kind of RV deep cycle battery may vary. If you are a camper, you may need a battery with higher amp hour rating. To know your battery’s amp hour rating, please refer to the simple calculation below.
- Amp x Hours = Amp Hours. (10) amps over a period of (10) hours = 100 amp hours
How to Maintain Your Deep Cycle Battery
In any case, you should follow the instructions given when you buy your deep cycle battery. For added information, here are some tips.
- Charge the battery to 100 percent at all times and do not drain it completely even if the manufacturer says it can handle it.
- Do not charge and recharge in short spurts. Deep cycle batteries are mean to be used for deep cycles. Drain the battery to 50 percent before charging it back up.
- Remember that deep cycle batteries reach their full potential after several uses.
- Do not store the battery when it is discharged.
- Monitor the water levels of the battery as it grows older. This helps you maintain the battery life cycle and prevent the battery from drying up and getting damaged overtime.
- Follow the maintenance instructions provided by the manufacturer that comes with the battery.
All in all, there are so many RV batteries that are being sold in the market today but you need to find the best one for your needs. A good kind of RV battery is a Sealed Lead Acid Battery that was specifically made for electrical motors and trolling motors. Choosing this kind of rv battery will ensure that you have the best battery life and battery cycle that you need. It’s also good to find a battery that can be used for other products, appliances and other vehicles to maximize the money that you spend. You can choose a battery with an advanced technology that enables it to extract the best amount of performance from your battery.
You need to protect your battery from being damaged as they do not come very cheap. You can do this by switching between two batteries to prevent overuse. Make sure that you don’t overcharge your batteries and follow the maintenance instructions from the manufacturer if there is one. Having a good quality battery that functions well will save you from all the hassle that you might face during a road trip with friends and family. The best RV battery is made with high quality materials and has good specifications.
Last update on 2021-04-18 at 09:17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. More info.