The best spinning reels come in handy if you want to drag fish fast as soon as you get a bite. It reduces the work that you have to do if you have to drag fish by moving the whole rod yourself.
Spinning reels come in a variety of materials suited either for saltwater and freshwater regions, as well as different drag systems appropriate for the size of the catch.
There are as many types of reels as there are differences in their features. Gaining knowledge about the most popular choices for spinning reels in the market is important before you make the decision to purchase one.
Best Spinning Reel Review
Table of Contents
The KastKing Kodiak is named after the bear that roams Alaska for obvious reasons. It is powerfully built with a zero-flex aluminum structure, an aluminum spool that is CNC-machined, and an aluminum rotor.
It was manufactured for precision and high quality as it has ball bearings shielded with stainless steel. This makes the KastKing Kodiak incredibly smooth.
Fishing reel reviews also show that the stainless steel main shaft of the boat has a particular thickness that is enhanced by 15%. It also has fortified brass gears that add to its massive power. Along with a carbon fiber drag system, the KastKing Kodiak is able to fight a strong and large saltwater trophy fish.
The anodized aluminum alloy body structure of this spinning reel also has a fat bail wire that keeps your line strong in order to give you the best fishing experience anywhere, anytime.
The much thicker bail wire is newly designed to provide you with a smooth drag support. Moreover, with the design of the line roller, you can incredibly reduce line twist and fatigue to help the line not break easily.
The right-hand handle is made of aluminum and is interchangeable. It is charged with EVA power knob, with a small knob fitment for numbers 2000 and 3000, and a big knob fitment for numbers 4000 and 5000.
As one of the best spinning reels in the market today, the KastKing Kodiak is specially designed with an aluminum spool to make it tough in saltwater. It also has a rotor structure that automatically prevents sand and water from getting in. Indeed, this spinning reel is the trademark symbol of KastKing’s heavy-duty and powerful reel series.
The Okuma Ceymar has a sleek design and smooth performance because of its fluid drive system made up of 8 ball bearings. At the same time, Ceymar provides the spinning reel with an impressive list of features that define advanced performance.
The spinning reel’s foundation of strength for both braided and monofilament fishing lines is a machined aluminum spool that is ultra-rigid in structure. This spinning reel has a solid bail wire made from alumina and a huge line roller that both define its durability and confident performance for a long time.
As one of the best fishing reels, the Okuma Ceymar has a rotor system that provides computer balancing. This maximizes spins at high speeds without the usual wobble.
This fishing reel also has a handle arm that is specially built from aluminum. Thus, this gives you total control over the reel. At the same time, you are enjoying the supreme comfort of its custom EVA handle knobs.
Its Blade Body Design is particularly built for reducing the overall size of the spinning reel. This gives anglers ample time to concentrate on the fish that they are trying to catch.
The Cyclonic Flow Rotor (CFR) of the Okuma Ceymar was specially designed to produce a cyclonic airflow. This feature then dramatically maximizes air flow through the rotor. Moreover, this design was thoroughly tested in order to make the reel dry up fast if it gets wet to help protect it from corrosion. The CFR of the Okuma Ceymar has a lightweight design in order to reduce the flex tendencies and rotational coherence. This helps create precision in terms of mechanical operation.
Truly, with its powerfully efficient multi-disc drag system and its 7BB + 1RB level of ultimate smoothness, the Okuma Ceymar gives you an excellent fishing experience. The Blade Body Design is also resistant to corrosion and its brass pinion gear is perfected for precision.
The Pflueger President spinning reel is considered the best freshwater spinning reel by many reviews because of its superior, flawless, and smooth performance. This reel is incredibly light but impressively strong. It is regarded by many users as the best spinning reel for the money.
The aluminum handle that is aircraft-grade defines the reel’s extreme durability. Some users even claim that the performance of the Pflueger President would not change a bit even after 10 years of continuous use. This makes it very practical.
The lightweight construction of the graphite body and rotor of the spinning reel makes it possible for you to have precision when catching fish. Moreover, its 9 stainless steel ball bearings add to the smoothness and efficiency of your fishing experience. Stainless steel is also naturally resistant to corrosion.
The Pflueger President’s braid-ready spool also ties the braid directly to provide consistent drag pressure and resistance to corrosion. Moreover, the distinctive hole pattern of the aluminum spool explains its lightweight structure.
This spinning reel boasts of its smooth casting and reeling. In fact, this high-value smooth performance is made possible not only by its lightweight graphite structure but its ball bearings. The titanium-coated spool lip and its line roller all fortify the Pflueger President and give it its maximum performance.
The Penn Battle II is a product of a company that has enjoyed its fame since 1932. The Penn Fishing Tackle Company is famous for spinning reels that feature state-of-the-art modern design. This is the reason why it claims to be the best spinning reel for anglers.
What makes the Penn Battle II a great pride of its company is its durable design. Add to that are the drag washers made ofHT-100 carbon fiber. This makes your fishing experience extra smooth.
The spinning reel’s rotor construction and the side-plate of its full metal structure give it precise gear alignment even when under heavy pressure. Moreover, the 5 ball bearings that are shielded with stainless steel give the machine an added smoothness and efficiency.
It is equipped with an anti-reverse bearing capacity and a high-grade aluminum bail wire. Both of these add to the power and capacity of the spinning reel itself. It is also equipped with a super-line pool that works together with line capacity rings.
The rubber gasket prevents slippage of the super-lines. Thus, this eliminates the need for backing as it provides maximum assurance to the user that the line will never break.
Moreover, the spinning reel is available in four models that vary according to your line weight requirements. These models include two famous types: the one built for 220 yards and with a maximum drag reaching 15 lbs, and the one for 200 yards with a maximum drag valued at 25 lbs.
The Penn Fierce II is a spinning reel that is defined by its dependability and unparalleled power. This is because of its heavy-duty aluminum bail wire and full metal body that features a main shaft made of stainless steel.
The field-proven drag system is considered extremely reliable as it is strong enough to tame fish. The full metal body and side plate also keep the balance of the spinning reel even when under heavy loads.
The 4+1 ball bearings that are shielded with stainless steel add to the smoothness and efficiency of performance. This, along with its other features, provides the user with unwavering performance even if you fish in the roughest conditions.
The techno-balanced rotor construction gives the spinning reel very smooth retrieves. This allows for efficient fishing. The smoothness and efficiency of your fishing experience is further enhanced by the reel’s instant anti-reverse bearing feature.
Considered the best freshwater spinning reel by a number of reviews, the Penn Fierce II is virtually indestructible and requires minimum maintenance. Moreover, as the name “Fierce” suggests, this spinning reel is effective for catching big fish.
The reel case of the Penn Fierce II is also well sealed. It has a removable handle that makes it easy to maintain. Its spool explains its lightweight structure while its nice, thick bail wire gives it little or no flex. Moreover, the reel’s drag is very strong and can be easily adjusted with the top dial.
Spinning Reel Buying Guide
There are things that you need to consider when buying spinning reels. You cannot just buy one without adequate information about specifications and features offered by various brands.
- Water Factor – If you want to get the best fishing experience, it is not the type of fish that you should think about first but where you are going to fish. If you are going to fish in saltwater or brackish water, you must buy a spinning reel that is particularly suited to this harsh environment. These reels usually use ball bearings that are particularly resistant against rust.
- Targeted Species – The amount and size of your line will depend on the type of fish that you intend to catch. Thus, if you are targeting large freshwater species, you will need a reel with enough capacity for a line to allow for long runs.
You should also make sure that the drag system will be strong enough to handle the heat. This works pretty well if you intend to catch aggressive saltwater species.
- Bearings – No matter what kind of fish you are targeting, you should choose a spinning reel that is easy and smooth to use. If you are fishing, you would want to eliminate the irritating noise and vibration that is evident of poor quality reels.
Find a quality spinning reel that has more ball bearings as possible. The more bearings, the smoother your retrieves and the less you hear the disturbing noise that reminds you of a sewing machine. Moreover, if you intend to fish in saltwater, go for top quality ball bearings that will withstand corrosion.
- Construction – The lighter the reel, the better it is. However, the stronger it is to withstand the torque, the better. Thus, you should go for tough, durable reels with sophisticated lightweight alloys for maximum efficiency.
- Frame Types – There are three basic types. Go for all metal as it is the best choice. The second best choice is a polymer or graphite hybrid combined with a metal faceplate. The third best choice is a graphite or copolymer.
- Machine Work – Go for reels with tighter tolerances. Check if the spool or handle makes slight movements whenever you apply pressure to the shaft. If it does, then it does not have quality machining. It will therefore not be useful if you fish often.
- Line Capacity – If you are going for larger freshwater or saltwater fish, then go for larger models that are strong enough to handle heavy weights of line.
- Basic Styles – There are three basic styles of a reel. No matter what kind of fish you are intending to catch, you can choose from spinning, casting and fly fishing styles.
The styles do not particularly matter as long as you know how it works. Nonetheless, experienced anglers choose the casting type, particularly bait-casting reels for larger and stronger game fish.
- Drag System – If you are after light fishing, then you should go for spring and pawl systems. If you want to catch larger and stronger game fish, choose disc drag systems. For anything in between, you can go for calliper drag systems.
Owning a spinning reel is of a great and practical importance to your fishing needs. Nonetheless, there are some things that you need to be aware of if you want to keep yourself and your spinning reel safe. Here are some things you should keep in mind before buying and while using spinning reels.
- Use the anti-reverse feature of the spinning reel when you get a catch to prevent your line from spooling off.
- Use a skirted spool when fishing in saltwater areas. This will help increase your line capacity, reduce tangles and allow you to make longer casts. Moreover, this will protect your reel from the corrosive effects of salt and moisture.
- If you are a beginner, you should go for spin casting reels as they are both simple and reliable.
- Be careful when you have large hands because the spinning trigger can bang your knuckles hard. The releases of the trigger that are attached to the bail decrease the amount of clearance away from your hand.
- Go for newer models as the older ones have a fixed drag system that you cannot adjust in case you want to catch larger fish.
- Go for disc drag systems as much as possible as they have the smoothest type of drag. This system is usually present in a modern fly reel.
- Do not let anyone with little or no experience with spinning reels operate it unless you are doing so with supervision.
Buying a Spinning Reel Online
- When buying a spinning reel online, always make sure that you are buying from a good company or a reputable site. It is hard to return reels that are defective in case you end up with one.
- Make sure that your desired qualities are present in the reel before you think about its cost.
- Always consider where you would use it often and what species of fish you intend to catch with it. As long as you consider these two things, you will not go wrong with your choice of reel.
- At the same time, choose a reel that is durable and will last for years so that you can get great value for your money.
These are the basic tips to remember when buying spinning reels online. As always, the best advice is to do a lot of research online or offline on any particular brand before you buy one.
With all the spinning reels presented to you, the best choice is the Pflueger President Spinning Reel. It has smooth and flawless performance because of its 9 stainless steel ball bearings. This reel is also incredibly light despite its impressive strength.
Among the things that make it stand out is its aluminum handle which makes it extremely durable. In fact, it is one reason why the reel could last even up to 10 years. The braid-ready spool also gives it smooth drag pressure and the stainless steel makes it resistant to corrosion.
Although other brands in the market may have the same strength when it comes to aluminum handles and the same lightweight nature, the Pflueger President’s 9-ball bearings are an additional proof of its claims that it is indeed extremely durable. One more thing – the braid-ready spool of the Pflueger President makes for an excellent drag system that other brands could only envy.
Last update on 2020-09-22 at 19:17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. More info.