I’m so excited to share this project — I’ve been thinking about a build-your-own robot felt board since I designed this cupcake felt board a few weeks ago.
These little bots are so expressive – create a variety of heads, bodies and limbs. Felt circles, squares and triangles are all you need. Add features like eyes and mouths. Kids will love building tons of different robots, and don’t be surprised if you find yourself building right along with them.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 8 1/2″ x 11″ Frame
- 8 1/2″ x 11″ piece of stiffened felt
- Felt scraps in a variety of colors
- Tacky glue
1. First, take the backing off the frame and remove the glass. Store in a safe place, where little ones can’t get to it.
2. Make your felt board by gluing or taping the stiffened felt to the back of the frame. Glue a rectangle of felt to the bottom of the board.
3. Place the felt board in the frame. Now it’s time for robots!
4. Create a variety of robot bodies. Ovals, squares and rectangles work well. Glue on details like utility belts and buttons.
5. Be creative when making the robot heads. Make sure they are expressive — add funny shaped eyes and mouths. Try giving some of the robots antennas .
6. Make lots of limbs!
7. Finally, build your robots. the fun thing about felt boards is that you can build your robots and then disassemble them as many times as you like. Mix and match bodies, heads and arms – and make your robots wave, kick their legs, or do cartwheels.