Finding the best way to heat a garage is an important task to do. More often than not, garages are used for storage or parking purposes. It is now a part of a family’s living space. They are converted as a workspace, laundry room, a niche for pets and even a spare room.
Now, winter is a good experience until it disturbs your normal routines in your garage. No one wants to work or spend time in a freezing cold room. So, here are some tips to make your garage warm and cozy even in the cold season.
Know the things to consider before buying a heater
Table of Contents
- 1 Know the things to consider before buying a heater
- 2 What are the types of garage heaters you can choose from?
- 3 What are the safety precautions in using garage heaters?
There are a lot of types of heaters for garages. These heaters could be portable or installed, electrically powered or fueled, for household or for commercial purpose, etc. These heaters have different features that you can or cannot benefit from. Read some tips on the Gadget Reviews to learn more.
In order to find the best way to heat a garage, you have to consider several factors first. Look for the one that satisfies your needs in your specific garage. Here are some of the things to consider before buying a heater:
- Estimate or measure the area of your garage. The room size will dictate what type of heater must be used. The majority of heaters are only suitable for a specific room size. You should look for the labels in the heater or ask for assistance if the heater will fit the dimensions of your garage.
- Know the power output of the heaters. A Large-sized garage requires a heater that needs a high amount of power. You should check your main power supply if it’s appropriate for your heater. Even if your heater is fuel-powered, it still needs electricity. If you don’t know much about electrical circuits, you should consult an expert to avoid accidents.
- You must consider in advance if you need a portable or a fixed heater. Working around your garage, portable heaters could be a bother to you. On the other hand, they could also be very useful if you have to take the heater with you in other rooms or garage. Fixed heaters, which are installed in the ceiling or wall, can give you extra space and safety.
- You can look for heaters that have special features such as built-in thermostats. In looking for the best way to heat a garage, a thermostat is an important feature to look for. The common problem with ordinary heaters is overheating the room.
Now, a built-in thermostat automatically stops the heater when it detects that the room is heated enough. The heater will start again when the room temperature starts to drop. You can also buy heaters that can produce cool air so that you can use it during summer.
What are the types of garage heaters you can choose from?
Electric Powered Garage Heaters
Because they are readily available in the market, electric heaters are the most popular. Garages usually have a power source, so there wouldn’t be a problem in this one. This might be the most convenient type because it usually has an automatic switch-off feature that makes it safer if ever the heater tips over. Plus, it has a thermostat for temperature regulation. See Northern Tool site for examples.
Natural Gas Heaters
If you are looking for less expensive heaters, this is what you are looking for. These heaters are much preferred during an extremely cold weather. We can say that the best way to heat a garage when it’s really freezing cold is the natural gas heaters.
Like a conventional furnace, these heaters need ventilation to create warm air. They usually are attached to the wall or the ceiling. Before using this, first, you have to create a vent where the waste air can free pass through.
Infrared Tube Natural Gas Heaters
It warms the air using a low-intensity infrared tube that radiates heat. It also needs ventilation like the forced-air heater. Beware of high-intensity heaters because they are usually not for residential purposes.
Propane Garage Heaters
If you are not careful in choosing a quality propane-fueled heater, it can be very dangerous to your health and safety. It can release harmful gasses and the flames can ignite combustible objects such as papers and sawdust. However, with a good choice, you can benefit from its ability to create heat faster than other heaters.
By showering infrared rays, it transmits heat to an object or the environment. They are usually portable type. It is specialized for heating localized area such as directing it few feet away to your work area. Read a blog from Canuck Plumbing for other types of heater.
What are the safety precautions in using garage heaters?
- Don’t leave your garage heater unattended. Switch them off before leaving.
- Never leave it with unsupervised pets and children.
- Don’t try to modify or experiment with your heater.
- Ensure proper ventilation and space (with enough room) for the heater.
- Place it away from flammable materials.
- When cleaning the heater, disconnect it from the power source.
I hope that these tips will help you find the best way to heat a garage. Thank you for reading this. May you have a warm and comfortable garage during the cold season.