Harry Potter fans are sure to approve of a tree filled with owls. This cute little hoot is made from a walnut — such a budget-friendly way to decorate a tree!
My favorite part is that instead of hanging on hooks, these little birds perch on the branches using pipe cleaners. Did you know that a group of owls is actually called a parliament? Who knew?
Check out the tutorial and then create your own parliament of Christmas owls.
You will need:
- Walnuts, in their shells
- Green and brown felt
- brown or green pipe cleaners
- Paint brushes
- Hot glue
- Small red pom poms
1. Cut two small teardrop shapes from the brown felt, these will be wings.
Table of Contents
- 1 1. Cut two small teardrop shapes from the brown felt, these will be wings.
- 2 2. Use hot glue to attach the wings, and then paint on a face.
- 3 3. Cut out two small teardrops as his top feathers. Glue these to the top of his head.
- 4 4. Fold your felt in half and cut out a holly leaf, cut through both sides of the felt to create two identical leaves.
- 5 5. Cut a pipe cleaner in half. Put a dot of glue on the lower back of the owl and glue the center of the pipe cleaner to the back of the owl.
- 6 6. Glue on a holly leaf to cover the spot where the pipe cleaner and walnut meet.
- 7 7. Glue the second holly leaf to the front. Glue on small red pom poms as the holly berries.
- 8 8. Once dry, wrap the pipe cleaner around a tree branch, perching your owl on the tree.Try making a variety of owls by painting the walnut and playing with felt colors.