Check out these cuties, aren’t they the best? Those pipe cleaner arms – hilarious and so expressive! This one fits the bill if you’re looking for a craft that’s simple, budget-friendly, and won’t make a mess of your kitchen table. Plus, I love that these puppets will inspire hours of imaginative play.
Do those craft foam shapes look familiar? Yup, I used them in my last post too. I have to confess – my craft cabinet is a crazy mess and needs to be re-organized, re-thought and re-done. Instead of diving into the madness I decided to use the first materials I could get my hands on.
Sometimes limits really help to spark creativity. I love these little guys, and I hope you will too. Check-out the how-to.
- Popsicle sticks
- Adhesive craft foam shapes
- Pipe cleaners
- Glue stick
1. Grab your materials. You will need two craft foam circles or ovals for each puppet’s head. You will also need tiny circles for hands – 4 per puppet, and triangles, ovals or whatever shape you like for their clothes.
2. Part of the fun with this craft if creating your own cast of crazy characters. But I’ll show you how I make one version, lets call her Sally.
Take a foam circle, remove the paper backing and stick it to the end of a Popsicle stick. Now grab the yarn and cut about 10 pieces. Stick them onto the sticky circle. Press the second circle onto the back.
3. Add some googly-eyes and a smile. Then, cut a pipe cleaner in half. Wrap it around the Popsicle stick leaving the two ends extended.
4. Use 2 craft foam triangles for the body, just stick them together — like so.
5. Stick little circles to the ends of the pipe cleaners as hands. wave.
6. Give Sally’s hair a trim and tie on a little ribbon. Lovely! Now, give Sally some friends — try to come up with a new design all your own, have fun!